I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Inshore Boat Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---)
Date: August 19, 2021 01:49PM

Hi all. Been a long time since I posted here. I had to reactivate my login.

I have built many fly rods and freshwater spinning rods, but I have not made a saltwater boat rod. I have a relative who fishes the bays on the Jersey coast from his boat who needs me to make him a couple of rods. I am not sure whether he wants a spinning or baitcasting setup at this point but I suspect he wants a rod 6 -7.5 ft for line 10 - 30lb. For those of you have made such rods, do you have a blank or kit (Mudhole) that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Widmaier

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Inshore Boat Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 19, 2021 02:51PM

Hi Bob,
CTS makes an excellent blank for this - BayMaster Spin. But it can be used with a conventional reel also
I built 3 for my son who does that sort of boat fishing.
One was a 7'6" - power of 5
two others were 7'6" power of 4 for 20-30#.

The series shows various powers and lengths. But I have ordered many more that do not show on the site.

Go to : [ctsfishing.com] and use the drop-down to see stock blanks.
Email me at hladen@hotmail.com for RB.Org pricing and more info.
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 19, 2021 04:29PM

I recently made an inshore rod with the 7' American Tackle Bushido Ultra Load Medium blank rated 20lb - 40lb and absolutely love it! It is lightweight and extremely sensitive. There are several Ultra Load blank options, including a Medium-Light at 15-30, a Heavy at 30-50 and an Extra Heavy at 40-65. These blanks pair especially well with the G2 Carbon Fiber handle packages and the CCT reel seats, a really handsome combination!

There is also a Bushido series that is a little shorter, 6' 3" to 6' 6", this is the "Slow Load" series. They have the same weight ratings as the Ultra Load blanks in a slightly shorter blank. I have several of these and they are killer on the inshore reefs. While designed for slow load jigging, they do very well with other inshore techniques, particularly jigging swimbaits.

I will be usiing the 20-40 Ultra Load on bottom fish this Sunday the 22nd, looking for Canary Rockfish and Ling Cod. I will use it again for Albacore Tuna on Monday, the 23rd. I also have an Ultra Load 40-65 made up and will use it on the Albacore as well. I will post something next week with my fishing results.

Rich Bowers
TroutStyx Custom Rods

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 06:38PM

Hello Bob.

I like these, they are SEEKER and this is from MudHole

GTS70L 7'2" 1 15-30 lb. 3 - 10 oz. 7.5 0.645 5.5 Clear Gloss Graphite Grey $124.00

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2021 04:40PM

Thanks for the rod suggestions. I checked out each rod suggested and they seem to be great boat rods for the Jersey bays. If I was building a rod for myself, one of these would be my choice. However, my relative was more interested in having colored rods so I ended up getting a couple Mudhole CRB colored spinning blanks. They should arrive shortly and I can begin the builds.

Thanks again.

Bob Widmaier

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster