I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Correct Alps Tod Assembly Set-Up
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:02PM

I'm not sure which post it was in, but an Alps Power Wrapper user had a complaint that the spring loaded rod holders would not secure thin rod tips. I figured out the problem, and no modifications to hardware are required, only correct set up. As the swing arm holding the top wheel travels from it's furthest top position, to its furthest bottom position, it forms an arc. At about the center of that arc, the wheel is positioned right between the two bottom wheels. Where the top wheel is centered, it needs to be touching the rod blank. If the bottom assembly isn't sufficiently elevated, allowing the blank to drop too far downward, the top wheel will travel too far in its arc, and move past the correct orientation between the two bottom wheels, making it unable to contact the rod blank.

To test this, I placed the skinniest piece of my four piece rod blank unto the chuck, and adjusted the elevation of the bottom wheel assembly upward. The blank tip is the correct size for a 4.5mm tip top, pretty small. At the furthest upward setting of the bottom assembly, the upper wheel contacted the rod blank, and held it securely. This also proved to level the blank correctly with the chuck center. I then adjusted the other holders accordingly to support the rod. This set-up has been turning for two hours as I have Gen 4 drying on guide wraps. There have been no issues, and the blank appears perfectly stable. So for anyone, and everyone using the Alps Power Wrapper, setting the elevation of the bottom section of the rod holders is what makes the whole thing work. I'm just happy that I was able to figure out the issue quickly. Once figured out, it seemed obvious to me, Hope this helps everyone, and is understandable.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Correct Alps Tod Assembly Set-Up
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:22PM

Robert,
Thank you for sharing your observations and remedy. While I fabricated my own power wrapper, I employed a similar upper pivoting arm which holds the third roller to secure the blank. As you, I always put the blank in the lower rollers and then adjust the uprights to hold the blank level. After becoming annoyed from measuring with a steel ruler each time, I scribed a line on a piece of aluminum at the exact height of the chuck centerline from the bed to be used to check the centerline of the blank at each of my four uprights = much easier.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster