I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 06:33PM

My dad recently passed away and I want to make his doctor a custom fly rod. He likes to steelhead fish and from what I gather from him, he likes a 9’ - 11’ rod in a 9-11 weight. I’m not a fly fisherman so what blank do you guys suggest. I want an upper end quality blank.

Thanks
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 06:40PM

You could buy a name blank like Sage or Thomas & Thomas, go with a great blank that is less well known such as CTS. Or go with a Batson or NFC blank. How much do you want to spend on a blank plus all the components?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 06:52PM

Compared to the big names, the Rainshadow Eternities are great fly blanks for a fraction of the price. I've built a number of them, and all have been excellent. I'd go a 9 weight, 9 foot. Will double as a great Cuda and redfish rod when he retires and goes to salt.

Date: August 17, 2021 06:54PM

Not worried about the cost, just want a great blank

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:06PM

I second the Eternity 2, a very fine blank.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:55PM

I love the American Tackle Matrix blank! I have built on very high end platforms and find this Matrix just performs better.

Date: August 17, 2021 08:58PM

I will definitely check out the blanks. Is there a particular reel seat that everyone likes? How about guides…single foot or do you prefer snake guides? As I said before, I am not a fly fisherman, so I know next to nothing about them. Not concerned about cost, just want a top notch rod to show the appreciation for taking such good care of my dad. I may order a custom decal saying, In memory of……

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:09PM

David,
A 9' #9 is fine for Steelhead. An 11' blank will be a two handed rod.
Neither should be an 11 wt.
If you email me at hladen@hotmail.com - I will put you in touch with a rod builder who specializes in rods designed for Steelheading.
He will advise you gratis.
Herb
CTS Rep.

Date: August 17, 2021 09:17PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David,
> A 9' #9 is fine for Steelhead. An 11' blank will
> be a two handed rod.
> Neither should be an 11 wt.
> If you email me at hladen@hotmail.com - I will put
> you in touch with a rod builder who specializes in
> rods designed for Steelheading.
> He will advise you gratis.
> Herb
> CTS Rep.

Email sent

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:29PM

If I were in your shoes, and thought I could do it without giving away my intentions, I want to get a look at his favorite rods. That would give me an idea of his needs/desires and how high the bar is.

If he is a bamboo purist a top name rod may run $3500+. In more modern materials the same brand would be about a 1/3 of the cost. Awful lot of middle ground there.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 10:12PM

I have an Eternity 2 6-weight and it is a nice rod. But he had better like cobalt if you build him at Batson Eternity 2! CTS would provide you lots of color options, as would Rod Geeks.

Date: August 18, 2021 07:56AM

Did quite a bit of research last night. Seems like the switch style handle is more of an all around handle vs the single handle. Thoughts?

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2021 10:18AM

Great Lakes steelhead, Idaho steelhead, Pacific Northwest srteelhead, different rivers and styles of fishing and equipment to consider.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Date: August 18, 2021 03:12PM

David,
Please don't fall victim to the false concept that a Switch rod may/should be casted as a single handed rod as well as a 2 handed rod.
This is not true.
A Switch rod was designed to be casted Over Head or Anchor Point (Spey). But both styles use 2 hands.

A Switch rod has a particular type of action that lends itself to both Over Head and Spey - but does neither job well. Bottom line it is a compromise between the two casting styles.
Your father's doctor MAY be a 2 handed guy - or he may be a single handed guy.
Best find out somehow before you build one. You don't want it to be left in a corner of his closet.

I have built many Switch rods on CTS blanks - from 10'6" to 13'6". I use none of them now because they are a compromise.

Best bet is always a single hander. Maybe his nurse knows of a fishing buddy she can put you in touch with.
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep

Date: August 18, 2021 03:29PM

I’m actually looking at one of your rods, the AFFINITY X 10’, 4pc, 7 wt.

Date: August 18, 2021 04:18PM

O.K. But not built as a 2 handed rod - right??

The CTS Affinity-X #7 is a pretty aggressive rod - but sweet at the same time.
The swing weight on a 10'0" rod is pretty high. So, he would have to be pretty fit to cast it all day.

9.5' may be more appropriate.
Is this idea coming from Dave G?
Herb

Date: August 18, 2021 04:30PM

Coming from someone else right now. Just started communicating with Dave
Not a two handle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 04:31PM by David Luttig.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 19, 2021 04:44PM

I agree with the Matrix Blanks. An extremely good blank at a great price point!

I have built fly rods on many different platforms, up to and including a $1200 split bamboo 4-wt blank. I have found Matrix blanks are consistently a much higher quality then their price point would suggest, contrary to many of the others. While they only go up to a 9' 9-weight, that is a sweet spot for a single-hand Steelhead fly rod and can handle Coho Salmon as well. They have both 2-piece and 4-piece options.

One interesting fact that I can say of the Matrix series that I cannot say of many of the other series', I have yet to receive a Matrix fly blank that wasn't die-straight! That is extremely unusual, especially in the tip section!

Rich Bowers
TroutStyx Custom Rods

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: August 20, 2021 09:41AM

9' 6" 9wt 4pc CTS, NFC or Sage X blank. The lighter the better. Use double foot snakes like REC and get some nice double foot strippers like the REC Cerecoil, Fuji KW Torzite or Seaguide TiLBG with Silicon Nitride ring-RS. This is based off of your original post. I have not tried any of the Matrix blanks but they sound pretty good. I would compare the weights of the blanks and make a decision with that in mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2021 09:50AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 22, 2021 07:19PM

The rod owner's current favorite make and model of fly rod will indicate the best blank/action for that individual. If you could discover the make AND model of his current favorite fly rod then the savvy contributors on this website could provide some helpful recommendations. The price of rod blanks and components reveal little, if any, information about the way they cast or for which casting style they are best suited.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster