I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Looking for a Surf Blank
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (136.226.55.---)
Date: August 17, 2021 02:55PM

Hello,
I am looking for a 10' Surf blank that is slightly lower in power with a slightly softer/faster tip than a GSB1201L. As I don't understand CCS (nor do many companies list that data as far as I can tell) and I cant physically handle these blanks, all I can do is compare tapers and ask. I'm open to all suggestions as long as they could potentially be SLIGHTLY less power or have a tip that is softer at least.
Much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a Surf Blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 05:40PM

Derick,
look at : [ctsfishing.com]
Unhide your email - or, email me at hladen@hotmail.com for more info and RB.org pricing
Herb
CTS Rep

Date: August 17, 2021 05:59PM

CTS is a bit out of my price range haha....they do certainly sound nice though. I was looking for something right around the $200-250 mark.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:43PM

If you are going to lob the upper weight offerings I'd fish that Suzuki until it failed. It might surprise you. From what you have said you really like it (in all other aspects but that concern).

I'm not a surf caster, and on the opposite coast, so keep that in mind. Odm nex1 105 might fit your needs. Truth is most surf rods aren't fast action. You could always consider extending a blank which would make it "faster". If you can keep the casting weight down salmon/steelhead blanks are worth looking into. Just take care as weights might be trolling, not casting specs. Never hurts to check out the better local tackle shops and see what others use.

You should reach out to Herb. He might be able to suggest something within your budget, especially if you can go with a shorter blank like 9 foot.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 07:58PM

The American Tackle ATX surf blank is so awesome, I was turned onto these by a very known rod builder. These things are just great! AXSU100M-2 would be my choice.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 08:05PM

Russell,
I wish I could find a Salmon Float/Drift rod thst could ham the pressure. But those rods are designed with soft tips and good backbone down low. Not good for tossing heavier weights. The Suzuki is a great rod, but needs a bit more power in the mid and lower section. A longer version of the 9 footer ( it is the stronger of the 2) would be perfect.

Date: August 17, 2021 08:13PM

Also for an adequate West Coast Reference. The Lami GSB 120 M is used by Lamiglas employees to fish for Keeper to Oversized Sturgeon, plunking with 10-16 ounces of lead plus small baits. These fish regularly reach 100-150 pounds. Where as East Coast Surf Casters use this blank for throwing 3 ounce plugs to 40 pound fish.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 17, 2021 08:51PM

Derick, what do you think of a back bounce blank? Seems to me they are made to handle more weight yet still be sensitive. I'm asking this for myself as much as you::)

Yup, I have often read that east coast guys would cut casting weights/power in half compared to how salmon/steelhead rods are rated out west.

I will say I love my two hot shot rods. Ultra fast tips with some serious back bone in a very low weight blank. We don't have anything like them around these parts. On the other hand they don't feel like they have the reserve power/ruggedness I'm accustomed to in blanks with similar line/weight ratings. I feel the same way about Musky blanks.

Sounds like maybe you should consider extending the 9 foot suzuki???? I'll admit to struggling to understand the need for more strength in the butt of the rod. Seems to me if it can cast what you need, and hold bottom, who cares about the rod strength when average fish are a couple/few pounds. But I may have an entirely wrong picture of what catching a surf perch is (truth is I haven't a clue).

Best of luck with your search. We have some west coast guys here that are very knowledgeable on the salmon/steelhead blanks. Might be wise to post what weight ranges you need to cast, distances needed, current to be dealt with, fish size/fighting ability, and how much cover/rough ground you have to deal with.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 17, 2021 10:21PM

Back bounce blanks are also sold as heavy Swimbait blanks. Too short really. Hot Shot/plug blanks are generally much softer. Not designed for casting heavy stuff. The closest Salmon blank to a surf rod is a heavy trolling rod. But they are slow and floppy. I started with a Okuma SST 1-8 Salmon Herring rod. That thing would fold in half before beginning its recovery and moving the gear forward. Plus one with enough power would be in the 8-10ounce range for blank weight. Heavier than the GSBs.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: August 18, 2021 10:45AM

Rod Geeks has many offerings in the 10'-11' ft range. I've built a couple now for some clients and I'm building the Surf Blank Series - SRF110MM2 for myself, should be done in a day or two. It's more moderate but most of their rods (and everyone else's) are MF, so they may have something. Look at this one. Surf Blank Series - SRF100MMF2, you can find it here. [rodgeeks.com] The prices are very fair and they are built in the Mexico St.Croix Factory. All of my orders have arrived in less than two weeks.

Date: August 18, 2021 12:52PM

How is the action/recovery/power compared the a Lami GSB? I've looked at these blanks, but I have nothing to judge them against.

Date: August 18, 2021 01:09PM

I've never fished the GSB's so I couldn't tell you. I do know that the Rod Geeks 11' that I am building now has some S-Glass in the tip so it may be similar to the GSB but the most of the Rod Geek Surf Blanks are all graphite (which should be faster) and the ones that do have S-Glass in the tip state that. I'm a pompano fisherman and I like my rods on the slower/moderate side, keeps them pinned. But that's just me. I'm sorry I can't help more, I like you, don't like spending money on a blank before I've held it and tested the tip a little. I've sent two or three blanks back this year in my quest for the right blank. I can pretty much tell right off the bat if it's what I'm after and most have not been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 01:13PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Date: August 18, 2021 01:30PM

What I'm fishing for is very Similar to Pomp, though their mouths don't seem to be too soft. Same types of rigs too, we just hold the rods (generally while wading as the beaches are very flat). I've tried too many different Salmon rods and a few different surf rods. Most everything off the shelf is not setup to my liking, so I started building my own. We don't have blank dealers nearby though and Surf Rods are not stocked in the area. It's been frustrating really.....I am currently working with Herb to get an idea of what the CTS blanks are like....maybe I can call someone at RodGeeks to get an idea of what their blanks are like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 03:21PM by Derick Jahnke.

Date: August 18, 2021 01:55PM

I feel your pain. I'm trying to get just three different rods to offer, a 10', an 11' and a 12" or 13' and all I have found thus far is the 11' from RodGeeks and I won't know for sure that will even be the one till the pomps start showing up in the fall. For the most part, it's very slim pickings out there. I hope you find what you are after!

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: August 18, 2021 02:01PM

I was going to recommend Rod Geeks until I read that you want something that's SLIGHTLY less power and having a tip that is softer than a GSB1201L.

I don't think even the medium moderate surf blanks will fulfill what you're looking for . The rod geeks SRF106MHMF2 is an all time favorite of mine as is the SRF80MMF 3/4- 3 oz for inshore salt water fishing . I picked both up at the Rod Building Expo a few years back.

I tried to get Rod Geeks to offer their surf blanks in the Carbon 4 material which is identical to St. Croixs SC IV but they said the demand wasn't there so I then I begged them to consider building me a SRF106MHMF2 but instead of Carbon II material use Carbon IV but still no dice . That's the main reason I had CTS build me a few blanks that are very similar to the Rod Geeks tapers but using a much higher performance Carbon in 57 MSI instead of the Rod Geeks 33 MSI surf blanks.

Date: August 18, 2021 03:07PM

How does the CTS version compare?

Date: August 18, 2021 03:34PM

Depends which model you're talking about , I would look at the Vapor Trail as being most like a GSB1201L.

CTS is the only company I know that will build a rod to your exact specs if what they already offer doesn't fit the bill . If you explained to them that you're looking for a 10' Surf blank that is slightly lower in power with a slightly softer/faster tip than a GSB1201L they can build you exactly that but you would have to pay a design fee . I doubt CTS has a GSB for reference but what they can produce would be very very close to what you requested .

I told them what I wanted and it was manufactured to perfection and is dead on to what I requested.

Date: August 18, 2021 04:01PM

Care to share what the fee was ?

Date: August 18, 2021 04:13PM

$100.00 - $125.00 .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 18, 2021 11:53PM

Have you looked at the Batson Rainshadow 10 ft?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster