I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling blanks
Posted by: Kyle Simmons (---)
Date: August 16, 2021 09:09PM

Hello all-
I did search through threads for an answer before posting and could not find one. I troll freshwater for crappie running smaller crankbaits such as bandit 300s. I have found for a production rod the ugly stik elite medium power extra fast action 7ft have the right tip to them that shows the twitch of the crankbait really well. I have been wanting to build some custom rods to replace the ugly stiks. I contacted mudhole and they recommended the mhx spin jig (SJ843) and assured me despite it being a fast action blank it would be more sensitive and have the twitchy tip like my ugly stiks . I built the rod and took it for a test run and it did not have the tip action I was looking for. I have contacted several rod blank manufactures and none can really give me a solid answer on which blanks they offer that would give that twitchy tip I am looking for. Any suggestions on some blanks for this application? Should I be looking for extra fast action blanks to get that twitchy tip im looking for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2021 10:32PM

You need one of the old Seeker CBS705's. Try to find one. It would be absolutely perfect for what you're doing.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:48AM

Hey Kyle,

I find that the American Tackle DS69/8-15 or 4-10 works great for small cranks. It has the perfect tip for running those lures true in the water. This blank is extremely versatile for myself in a variety of applications.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 18, 2021 01:12AM

Might look at the NFC HS7600-1 Delta.

Posted by: Brian Gross (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 18, 2021 12:09PM

That SJ843 is going to be to heavy for what you want it for. I built on a SJ842 and the ratings compared to St Croix of same ratings the MHX was stiffer/heavier I want to say. I like the Batson REVCB70M-SB
orREVS72M-SB

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 18, 2021 07:48PM

When you say a "twitchy" tip, I just wonder if a fiberglass/graphite composite blank might work for you.
The "RDR" series from Batson is just that.
The RDR70L is one of my favorites, it has a very light and "giving" tip,
and then gets into some backbone farther down as the graphite mid and butt comes into play.
A fun rod to fish, we have caught some reallty nice fish on it with 6# test line
A step up power-wise is the RDR710ML.
And, the REVIP series is nice for a moderate action all graphite blank.
Here is some info;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Kyle Simmons (---)
Date: August 18, 2021 11:44PM

Twitchy is the best way I can describe the tip of the ugly stik elites. With the rod in the holder trolling at about 1.5mph you can see the crank baits action in the tip. Lets you know that crank bait is working and not fouled with a leaf or a small fish getting dragged on it. You just see the tip twitching back and forth shaky like with the movement of the crankbait. Much more apparent with braid less so with mono. I am hoping to find a blank that with mono it still has enough twitch I can go back to running mono on all my reels. Also a blank that doesn't break the bank as I normally have 6 rods out trolling and would be building 6 of them.

I did speak with Baston a while back on this and RDR70L was mentioned. It's in the correct price range on the blank for what I am looking for. I am wondering how much difference in tip twitch between the RDR70L (5.0 tip) and RDR70M (6.0 tip)? We do hook into some larger fish such as catfish, drum, bigger walleye, etc so not sure if the RDR70L would be up to handling those larger fish.
Thank you for the suggestions thus far. Keep them coming if you know of any else please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 11:58PM by Kyle Simmons.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (136.226.55.---)
Date: August 19, 2021 12:48PM

I built a rod for fishing for American Shad in heavy current on the RDR710L. Super super soft tip but had a ton of backbone....I think it would be a great rod for trolling small plugs. It handles 3-5 pound Shad with 5 ounces of sinker in heavy current no problem. Or you could look at the Lamiglas XCC plug rods. The XCC 93 1 power should be ok.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 19, 2021 09:12PM

The HS7600 is certainly twitchy (never seen anything more twitchy in graphite). It is probably more than you want to spend though. The other potential issue is that while is has a XF action/soft tip it also has an XF lockup/hard butt. If you over react to a short strike you will rip the hooks out of the mouth and/or break light mono line. It will be in an entirely different league in terms of "feeling" the bite if you ever wished to cast your lure for the crappie. I love the rod, it will work well for what you want, but it is also way more powerful than you "need". That could come in handy for unintended fish.

Put it this way. I often fish it in freshwater with an 1/8 ounce beetle spin (which makes it's tip dance like crazy) and it is fun to catch bluegill and crappie with it. Yet I know of one captain who claimed to catch a 65# cobia on it and it has long been a favorite flats rod for bonefish and even permit. This amounts to saying it is a fun rod for bluegill but will handle musky as long as you don't have to worry about cover.

Frankly it is too good of a blank to waste on trolling:)

PS there is a MHX version that is less $.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.evrt.wa.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 10:41PM

Derrick, how does the RDR710L or RDR710ML compare to the XCC 931? I've been casually looking for something similar to the Lamiglas XCC 931 (since Lamiglas is perpetually sold out) and always wondered about how the RDRs compared. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2021 10:43PM by Jordan Smith.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: August 19, 2021 11:41PM

I dont know about the ML....I was told by someone at Batson that it is too much rod for my use. And I don't have the 931. I built a 933 and have a 932 blank that I've wanted to build for Coho plugging. The 932 is way too much rod for what you want. 931 is used for back trolling plugs for Summer Steelhead. The XCC plug rods have a much faster tip though they bend into the handle if very loaded. Whereas the RDR are more of a downrigger or gear trolling rod. Real soft tips and are more moderate but they have a really powerful butt and will lock up. Basically they are meant to get a nice soft bend while loaded up with the downrigger/ weight/flasher etc. But have enough left for the fish to hook itself and be landed. The XCC 930 (Kokanee plug rod) and 931 will have the better over action for plugs. But the RDR L might be the better blank for you purposes. Most Sporting Goods stores carry them....at least where Salmon and Steelhead ate caught. If I have time I will load the RDR up with a bit of weight and show u.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster