I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oh No, Major Blunder
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: August 15, 2021 10:13AM

I just finished building a rod using 4.5 running guides. Took it outside and was admiring my work. Best looking rod I ever built. (I have built maybe 10). I installed the guides using Perma Gloss for the first coat on the guide threads. Threadmaster Lite with marbelizing for the second coat on the guides. I used PG for the first coat to minimize the buildup of epoxy from two coats of Threadmaster given the marbelizing work. It worked well, the guides looked good. After the marbelized coat was completed I added thread trim bands to the marble work. Then I coated with the trim bands with lights coats of Threadmaster Lite. All looked really good. Then I noticed that the rings on 6 of the 4.5mm running guides were actually filled with clear epoxy, preventing me from running thread thru the guides. Ugh. I have never heard of this happening before. Obviously too much clear coat epoxy, somehow, although I thought I was being very careful. My epoxy technique is to apply with spatula, coat, and then let rod sit until drips form and remove the drips. Rotate, repeat. Then dry in a rod dryer at low speed.

Is there any way to remove the epoxy from the guide rings without damaging the guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oh No, Major Blunder
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: August 15, 2021 11:58AM

Heat a dental pick and push through opening then when it cools you will push out the rest

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: August 15, 2021 12:58PM

Thomas, Thank you so very much for this helpful advice. It worked perfectly. I am so relieved, you made my day! This forum has again proven invaluable to me in my new hobby.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 15, 2021 01:14PM

Message deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 01:15PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: August 15, 2021 02:30PM

Bob, glad it helped!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2021 03:24PM

Never a good idea to apply more epoxy than needed. I don't know where this idea of allowing extra epoxy to sag and drip off the rod started, but it's really not a good idea. That's what clogged your rings with epoxy.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2021 06:27PM

A brush works better than a spatula, I have tried both and you can control/manage the epoxy better with the brush. The thread wrapping epoxy is flexible and you should be able to cut it off or scrape and peel around the eyes and legs.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 15, 2021 07:49PM

Tom, i think it started with the idea that the epoxy had to saturate the wraps all the way to the blank in order to make a stronger guide wrap..suddenly color preserver became a big no-no but if the wraps are sealed with cp you can easily apply just one coat of epoxy as thick or thin as you want and the wraps are still more than strong enough..to saturate the wrap an excess of epoxy had to be applied and then taken off by the sag method.

Date: August 15, 2021 08:18PM

Never understood the "sag method." I think it came about from a bad interpretation of a RodMaker article on what to do if you put on too much finish.

Putting on too much finish doesn't increase the saturation of thread with epoxy. The thread can only absorb so much. Better to add more than have to remove some, although certainly do the latter if too much becomes apparent.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 15, 2021 09:09PM

The "sag method" has saved a lot of very nice wraps which may have had a bit too much finish applied by some inexperienced builders before they read magazines. Works for more experienced, and well read builders also. Hard to believe, I know.

Date: August 15, 2021 09:36PM

The "sag" method did not exist prior to the magazine article which was specifically aimed at saving finish jobs where too much finish had been applied. The trouble was that too many readers did not actually read the article and instead simply looked at the photos and thought you were supposed to put on too much finish as a rule and then allow it to sag and droop and then remove the excess. That's not a good way to apply finish.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2021 03:13AM

What I don't get is the obsession to get as thick a coating as possible in the fewest applications, often just one, when finishing a rod. Nearly every other finish or paint application calls for careful application of multiple thin coats. You can always add more. Taking off is a pain. Only thing I try to get done in one coat is the guide foot tunnel. For the guide wrap itself I don't care if it takes one coat or ten.

I also don't get the desire to have a thick coat of epoxy regardless of how you arrive at it. All you need is the thread ridges smoothed out and a level surface to the finish.. I have seen a lot of rods that you can't even see the step of the guide foot there is so much finish on them.

What ever you like is ok I guess your build. But a lot of problems are created when trying to achieve something that does not make much sense to achieve to begin with.

Date: August 16, 2021 08:04AM

Back to the OP's question, an Facto knife with a fresh sharp blade may allow you to cut out any finish in the rings and/or around the guide leg where the ring forms. The knife blade will not harm the guide rings.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 16, 2021 08:45AM

a good burnishing will knock down the thread ridges enough so that only one thin coat of epoxy is needed following the cp application..

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: August 16, 2021 10:40AM

Thanks all, I was able to resolve the clogged guide issue with the approach suggested by Thomas Kaufman, and then some careful knife/scrape work as suggested by Mr. Kirkman. A very satisfying end to what I first thought was going to be a much bigger problem.

I don't know if the other posters discussing thick epoxy coats were responding to something in my post, but avoiding overly thick epoxy was the purpose of using Perma Gloss for the first thread coat. That locked in the guides and added no thickness, allowing me to apply the marbelizing coat with just one thickness of epoxy.

I am not sure where I first heard of the heavy coat, remove sag approach. I would have guessed it was from Mr. Kirkman's you tube videos, which I tend to follow for all of my work. But after his comment I went back and looked at his thread epoxy video and of course I see it was not him recommending that approach. Going forward I will utilize the simple brush approach he shows in his video. Particularly the application of epoxy without the blank rotating in the dryer motor. My dryer motor does not rotate on a straight axis, causing the blank to move up and down and in and out as it rotates, making it very hard to apply and get clean edges. Hopefully the hand rotation method will help with that.

Date: August 16, 2021 11:55AM

Right, I simply suggested the sag, droop and remove as a remedy when too much epoxy has been applied. After that it sort of took on a life of its own - as if it was a good method for application. It's not and for all the reasons spelled out in that article from 15 years ago.

Keep in mind that you do not have to have your rod in a mechanical rotator while applying the finish. Roll the rod by hand and you'll find it much easier to apply the epoxy and get straight edges. Once all the epoxy has been applied to your liking, you can then chuck the rod to the rotator and set it turning. Or... just use the hand rotation method which allows you get the epoxy exactly where you want it, although you'll have to babysit the rod for at least 2 hours if not a little more.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 16, 2021 06:16PM

I simplify my guide coating.
I will often do batch builds of rods. So, I am interested in saving time.
I use standard flex coat and have never had an issue with the finish so no reason to change.

I mix the finish for 2 minutes.

Then, Starting from the longest wrap - typically the butt wrap, using a power wrapper I apply finish using disposable brushes - to apply a generous coat of finish. I am not particularly concerned at this time to fine tune anything, I just want enough finish on every wrap so that I will not have to add more finish. I work quickly down the rod on the spinning rod that may be turning up to 50 rpm.

Then, starting from the butt of the rod again, I will slow down and use a touch of gentle heat from the heat gun to temporarily thin the finish and I will do what is needed on each wrap to have the finish flow out and have the tunnels filled and clean edges. Then I proceed onto the next wrap.

Finally, I go back one more time - starting from the butt of the rod using very intense light and 3x magnification with a head band mounted magnifier to do a final quality inspection for perfection. At this point if there is a touch of a foot ball that is formed, I will slightly thin the finish with a tiny bit of gentle heat and wick off the excess finish. If a spot is a touch dry, I will dab a tiny bit of finish onto the spot, use a tiny bit of gentle heat to blend it and the job is done.

Typical time for a complete application of finish - ready to ship when it comes off he dryer is on the order of 10-15 minutes.

Then, time to move on to the next rod.

Using standard flex coat, there is no need for multiple finishes, and one ends up with just exactly the right amount of finish for a perfect rod and all ends well - in a single finish drying cycle.

Best wishes

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2021 10:40AM

Bob, thread finish tends to wick up onto the guides when I apply it. Seems to do this no matter how little or much I apply, but I just take a toothpick and swipe it off around the base of the guide to alleviate that problem.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster