I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

In Search of PacBay Minimas
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2021 03:52AM

Looking for some help finding a specific guide. I am looking for Pac Bay KM4KG08. These are the Minima M Tiblack/Tiblack size 8 guide. Tried all the usual places out of stock. Even Utmost can't get them from Pac Bay. I am not looking to hoard them but I am trying to get a supply built up. Have a need for two for planned builds but am looking for up to six. I have a fair number of the other sizes. My go to set is 16 8 5 then 4 or 5s as my runners. With the unpredictability of getting most anything nowadays I am trying to plan ahead. Appreciate any leads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In Search of PacBay Minimas
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 07:14AM

Michael,

Have you tried Anglers Workshop?

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 10:00AM

Try the SeaGuide HLG match guides in the black Adaman coating from Rodbuilders Warehouse. They are basically a match for the Minima guides and are really quite nice.
[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]
Norm

Date: August 14, 2021 02:24PM

Anglers workshop does not stock the Minima M series.
Norman thanks for suggesting the seaguides. Was unaware anyone offered something similar to the minimas. Might go that route.Have not heard anything negative about seaguide, but always unsure of something new. I know what I am getting with the Pacbay. Will keep looking for PacBays but at least I got another option now.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 04:42PM

Michael,
I have used both the Minima Ms and Sea Guide high frame TiXOHG (which Norman suggested to me as well). Both are very nice and lightweight. Don’t be afraid to try the Sea Guide. One thing though, the SG size 8 was not offered until recently and the last time I checked availability (2-3 months ago) they were waiting for the first shipment. From the way it was explained to me back then, they should have them by now.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 14, 2021 06:07PM

Mark, he wants the Minima-like guides without the ceramic insert. Michael, the SeaGuide HLG guides are really nice, I have used them several times and like as much, if not more, than the Minima M guides. I have tried both the black and gun-smoke Adaman finishes. Don’t be afraid to try them.
Recently CRC, within the past year or so, also offers a Minima M like guide, but they are out of stock for the black size 8. I like the SeaGuide M guides better.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 07:03PM

Thank you Norman, you are correct, I stand corrected.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: August 14, 2021 08:36PM

I second Norm's recommendation of the SeaGuide HLGs with Adaman coating. I bought and built with a few sets a while back, and would pick them over PacBay's Minimas any day of the week. I couple them with MKGs as runners. Buy a ceramic tip top, just to be safe. The HLGs and MKGs are great guides, and SeaGuide's quality control is so much better than PacBay's.

I find the gunsmoke Adaman coating to be very handsome. It is a color that complements graphite blanks a bit better than straight-up black. If I were to stockpile guides with stainless rings, I would stockpile the SeaGuide HLGs and MKGs in gunsmoke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2021 08:40PM by Eric Garza.

Date: August 14, 2021 09:25PM

Eric, it was one of your posts that got me interested in trying the SeaGuide HLG match reduction guides and MKG runners with the Adaman coating. If I remember correctly Rick Hall chimed in gave some interesting facts concerning the Vicker hardness of the Adaman coating, which I believe was about 1100. They are really quite nice guides, so thank you for your post.
Norm

Date: August 15, 2021 12:00AM

Well you all talked me into trying the seaguides. Got a set ordered for my next planned build. I will compare the them to the Pac Bay and see how they look .Hopefully I like them enough to complete my sets of minimas. Thanks for all the input.

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: August 15, 2021 10:07AM

I remember that. Vickers hardness is not the be-all-end-all of guide ring qualities, but 1100 seems to be good enough to get the job done. I have sold all of the rods I made with those guides, and currently do not have any left. The rod I used worked very well, though I never put braid on it, like I had originally planned. I would still love to hear if those guides hold up to braid. They put many meals of perch and bluegill on my table, that is for sure!

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 16, 2021 11:07AM

I would take a look at the Vortex Airs. Really close to the Minimas and I have no issues finding stock of them.

[www.americantackle.us]

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 19, 2021 04:58PM

I concur with the recommendation to look at the Vortex Air guides. I have a set on an inshore rod, using 30lb braided line, and have no issues. They look great, work great, and are extremely lightweight!

Date: August 20, 2021 05:09AM

The vortex are not offered in a match style like the minimas. Would have to go with a larger ring size to get close to the height of the minimas and in in turn end up with more weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster