I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eliminating the middleman?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 13, 2021 09:43AM

No-name imported fly lines I have purchased on line have performed beautifully and cost a fraction of what boxed fly lines sell for. Have you any experience with no-name fly rod blanks? I don't mean seconds, I mean imports before they are branded for sale in the U.S.A..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eliminating the middleman?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 13, 2021 11:15AM

They work.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2021 03:32PM

Phil, If things keep going the way they are, YOU wont have a choice. That will be the only fly line available,at an unaffordable price from someone you will have to bribe to get it. Buy American now while you still can.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2021 04:04PM

I spend extra to get American.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 13, 2021 04:06PM

Dennis: Will do. Please provide a list of fly lines which declare they are "Made in the U.S.A." If that information is NOT printed on the packaging you can bet the farm that line was NOT made in the U.S.A.!

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.aaa.bbb.ccc.bctel.net)
Date: August 13, 2021 08:43PM

All RIO fly lines are made in Idaho Falls USA. Leaders and tippet are from Japan.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2021 09:58PM

Rio USA Idaho
Cortland USA NY
Scientific Anglers USA Michigan
406 Fly Lines, made by Scientific Anglers, Sold in Montana
Orvis USA, their lines last I knew were made by Scientific Anglers, but that could have changed.

Some of these outfits do 3rd Party line work, but most are not going to say who makes their stuff. Years back when Rio first showed up, their stuff was made by Cortland Line Company for a few years. Now Rio is on their own and one of the biggest makers of fly lines.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2021 11:06PM

Brian and Bill, thank you for the research on those fly lines.
Phil, What you say is TRUE. But , you can't be guaranteed the same quality of every order. What is good now may not be worth didly on the next.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 14, 2021 06:05AM

I checked on Amazon as Phil suggested that was the source of the lines he described, and sure enough, there are a lot of cheap lines there. However, like many previous posters, I will continue to go with the name brands, made in the USA, because I will know in advance what I'm getting and that it most likely will work as I intend it to work.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2021 06:34PM

Buying online whether USA or off shore does not "eliminate the middleman!" as rarely are you buying directly from the manufacturer. Buying a fly line that is substantially less costly than most major brands can be a real crap shoot, sometimes its good, other times you are getting what you paid for, quality is rarely cheap!

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 06:58PM

I buy a lot of chinese lines . When you cast like I do you gonna need a lot of spares ! There are very few BAD lines out there ang when I can buy a line for 410 I can afford a few bad ones over the years . I also use Wulff TT a lot but damn they expensive . I shudder to think about paying for a Rio .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster