I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod breakage issue
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: August 12, 2021 04:24PM

Guys I’ve been a little plagued with spinning rod breakage issues. Over the last 2 years I have broken at least 4 spinning rods all within the tip section. All rods were discovered broken when removing the rod sleeve. Some had line ran through others no line. None have broken while fishing all came out of the rod box broken with the rod sleeve on.

I don’t use boat rod tubes have not in many years I always remove them ASAP and can’t recall ever having a issue that I can see was the reason for the breaks.

Any ideas or suggestions. Some rods are custom others factory so I can’t say anything there is a reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod breakage issue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2021 04:47PM

There has to be a common denominator among them and I doubt any sort of defect would be the culprit. So something is causing the rods to break and most likely, as you're putting them into the rod locker. The one force that rods really don't like is end-on compression. They are designed to resist flexing and torquing, but there is almost nothing there to resist the deformation that occurs when a rod is jammed head-on into a solid object. Many people have received rods and blanks that were found to be broken, inside perfectly undamaged rod tubes. 9 times out of 10, the package was slid along a floor and impacted a wall or other unmovable object, causing the blanks to do the same inside the shipping tube. And in nearly every case, the rods or blanks will break in the upper 1/3rd to upper 1/4 of the length.

Is is possible that while driving home you hit the vehicle brakes and the rods shift and slam into the forward wall of the rod locker box? Hard acceleration causing the same thing in the opposite direction?

This would be my best guess at the moment.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 12, 2021 04:49PM

I had this problem when I had a boat in which I couldn't "lock" the rods down, and the tips would jam against the boat bulkhead in transit. I had one do it on the deck of the boat in rough water while I watched one time.

I think you are experiencing tips being jammed against something, putting the tip section into compression, and failing it.

On my current boat I have placed a pad from a camping mattress over the stored rods which when the locker cover is lowered, locks the rods into position so they cannot shift while trailering the boat.

Date: August 12, 2021 05:10PM

I thought about them sliding but every time I open the rod box the rods are right where they should be. Plus my rod boxes can easily handle a 9’ rod. So yes they have room to move but I’ve never found one shifted to the front not even remotely close

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2021 05:11PM

This sometimes happens with fly rods when one puts them into the tube, "tip down". and the tube gets bounced around someway.

Date: August 12, 2021 05:27PM

Yeah I’m thinking that the rod sliding is the issue cause there’s nothing else I can point to. Good thing is they all only lost 3” tops most got fixed by reattaching the tip top or doing that after removing a guide.

It’s just sickening when you dedicate the time and money and have something so crazy happen like this. In 30yrs fishing knock on wood I have never broke a rod or guide except these spinning rods over the last few years. I take great care of my gear.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 12, 2021 11:22PM

Jason,
I agree there must be a common denominator causing your recent rod breakage; something in your routine has changed. Unfortunately, we cannot help much other than offer suggestions; it is up to you to investigate, discover, decipher and eliminate such in your particular situation. The only thing I can offer is to be aware of the little / obvious things to avoid “not being able to see the trees through the forest”. Good luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 13, 2021 11:24AM

I realize that you don't want to hear this, but don't put the rods in the storage locker and they will likely not get broken.

Short of that -

Take every thing out of the rod locker and to a forensic analysis of your rod locker.

Look at the inside, outside, top side and downside.

Do you have just one storage location from where the rods are having the problem.

If so, completely strip down that storage location and find the issue.

As Sherlock Holmes once said - If all of the logical solutions have been eliminated, then it has to be a illogical cause for the issue.

Good searching.

Just for one final question -
Has every broken rod in question, been stored in that singular rod locker?

----------------------
I do know that others who have rod lockers in their boats have had issues with broken rods.

In each of these cases, the owners of the boats have gone into the rod lockers and have removed every part and particle of hardware, support and or flange or protrusion that is inside of the locker. In every documented case of which I am aware - the removal of all braces, stands, supports inside the lockers have resolved the issue with these boat owners.

Best wishes.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 13, 2021 01:37PM

The only question I would ask is, why you take the rod tubes out of your boat? Does the design of your rod locker make it difficult to get rods in and out if you have rod tubes in the locker? I say this having a single console bass boat with about a 5' long rod locker lid, and nothing in the way of putting the rods in, or pulling the rods out of the locker.

The reason I ask is, putting rod tubes in my rod locker is the 2nd best thing I have ever done to my boat. The first best thing being a recessed tray for my trolling motor foot pedal. Depending on the lake, or type of tournament I'm fishing (single boater or team event) I keep anywhere from 10 - 16 rods in my rod locker. I personally don't use rod sleeves, but I know a lot of other anglers that do. The reason I don't use them is that they don't stop rod tips from becoming entangled, like a rod tube does. And while they might add protection for the rod's actual finish, I have had no problems with rod tubes causing any cosmetic damage to my rods.

I just went to a golf equipment store and got golf club tubes, and connected them together with these little pass through connectors they had there. I can put them in pretty much any configuration I want. And yes, I have to take a little care in how I put my rods in and take them out, the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience. At least in my book.

Again ..... just curious?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 13, 2021 08:17PM

After fishing for more than a handful of decades I confess to breaking several rods, both bought and built. Every time it was my fault - or the other guy who closed the door. Sure, cheap/junk rod blanks might suffer more breakage - but both the user and the product determine breakage. Watch those rods bounding up and down, line and sinkers attached, over the tailgate of the truck in front of you,

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 13, 2021 08:50PM

Phil,
I use snap off sinkers.

If I am through with a rod for a while, I snap off the sinker and put it in my pocket. When I go to use it again, I snap it back on and go back to using the pole with the sinker on it again.

Take care

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 05:18PM

Jason, any chance the rod tips are entering a forward compartment when placed in the locker? I know in some boats the rod locker has an opening at the front that the rods can extend into.
An anchor or other 'heavy' item can move around and possibly hit your tips.

TJB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster