I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drilling Cork Composite?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2021 03:58AM

Going to use a fighting butt as a foregrip. One end is cork composite as is the need to be glued on butt cap. I like the look of the cork composite on both ends. I want to glue the butt cap on and then drill it out to match the I.D. of the rest of the grip. The cap is rather thin maybe 3/16ths. Hole does not need to be perfect as i don't need much over a 1/4" and the edges will be hidden by the reelseat. The grip is bored 1/4" so I will use that as a guide and then ream the final little bit. Just wondering best technique to drill the cork composite. Don't want it to to blow out due to all the small pieces glued together. My line of thinking is place it on a scrap of wood and drill slowly through the cap into the wood, perhaps run the bit backwards? Any advice is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drilling Cork Composite?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 11, 2021 07:01AM

I think using a backer as you suggest will work well, give it a try on something you don't plan to use. Not sure why one would reverse the drill, but think the backing will do fine. High rotational speed, low penetration speed. Taping the end might hjelp too. I expect we'll get an expert who does it all the time to chime in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 11, 2021 07:35AM

Michael,
For this sort of work I use a round tapered file of the appropriate size that is chucked into a reversible variable speed drill. I run the drill in reverse to not screw the file into the work piece and split it.

Here is a picture of the set of round tapered files that I have used over the years for all of my filing for cork and composites.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I chuck the file into my lathe and then use a grinder to create a round chuck grasping area on the end of the file to have the file run true when drilling. I also grind a point on the end of each file so that I can use it to start the hole and get the file started into near fitting holes.

For this sort of work I never use a drill bit. The problem with a drill bit in cork and other composites, is that a typical standard drill bit tends to tear out the pieces of material leaving holes and ragged edges in the material.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2021 08:11AM

This sort of thing is best done on a lathe where you can bore large holes with a spade bit and be certain everything will be centered. But this is assuming you have a lathe.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2021 12:31PM

I collect three foot long pieces of broken rod blanks of different diameters and I buy sheets of cloth-backed "sand"paper: coarse, medium, and fine. Using a straight-edge and a boxcutter I slice these sheets into 1/2" wide strips. Using wood builder's contact cement I paint the smooth side of these strips and the entire rod piece with contact cement, allow it to dry, then press the glued side of the sandpaper to the glued rod blank in an open spiral for a length of 12 to 14 inches. I tightly wrap a piece of twine around the whole shebang for an hour to ensure a strong glue bond. I have never found it necessary to use power tools to turn these reams; I just twist and slide them with my hands. The coarse sandpaper reamer works quickly enough. Go slow and test . It's about a five-minute sanding operation.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: August 11, 2021 09:22PM

OP is not really talking about reaming process as much as he want to bore thru the solid end of a fighting but to enable him to use as a foregrip. At least that is my intrepretation of the queston

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: August 11, 2021 11:09PM

Ron is correct. Grip is bored .25. Just need to drill the butt cap out. It is only approx 3/16 thick.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 11, 2021 11:58PM

I would probably start with a 1/8” or 3/16” sharp wood drill bit, and then move up to a 1/4” bit. You can wrap masking tape an appropriate distance above the bit point to get a good fit to the hole in the fighting butt. This will keep the bit centered in the hole. Using a wood backer is a good idea. This should minimize any tearing of the rubberized cork. Once you have a hole it should be easy to enlarge using a reamer. I have drilled holes in rubberized cork rings that came with no holes without problems.
Norm

Date: August 12, 2021 09:34AM

When I do a job like this one, I use my drill press and take a block of wood for a start.

Then, I start with a small drill bit to form a pilot hole.

Then, I use a forstner bit to make a hole in the wood that is exactly the size of the butt cap and drill the hole about 1/4 inch deep to be deep enough to maintain the stability of the butt cap and keep it exactly centered. Then, I start with a small bit, to make the first hole and up size the hole to be a bit smaller than the item that you want to go through the hole. Then, I use a reamer to ream the hole to be a tight fit on the item that you wish to have the cap slip over.

The item will always be perfectly centered, and the hole will be sized exactly.

If you don't have a reamer, purchase one. It will pay you back many times over.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 12, 2021 12:14PM

when I work on cork I like to sand it some how , not use drill bits , as the bits tend to rip the cork up way to much for me , sanding it can be a file , sand paper,
even ruff sand paper will rip the cork for me , this happen because the cork is so soft .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2021 12:56PM

The speed you drill at will have a great deal to do with whether you cut the cork, or mostly tear it.

Date: August 12, 2021 04:02PM

Actually, if one wants to drill a nice hole in a piece of cork with a drill bit - use a Brad Point drill bit:

The cutting tabs on the side of the drill bit, slices through the soft material without tearing it.

For example:

[www.irwin.com]

If you haven't used a brad point drill bit before for cutting materials like cork, buy a set and enjoy the clean cutting of the material.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 12, 2021 04:14PM

When in need of a precise, clean, crisp hole in cork or composite cork, I use a short, sharpened length of “hobbier’s” brass tubing chucked in my drill/mill or hand drill; very nice results.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 13, 2021 05:00PM

A lathe is ideal for boring true holes through blocks of wood or metal. A lathe is awesome overkill for making true holes in cork - like using a chain saw to shape toothpicks.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 13, 2021 08:05PM

Sharp 1/4 " bit in the drill press, wood block beneath butt cap, proceed slowly, It'll be over before you know it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster