I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nail knot tip
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 10, 2021 05:19PM

I am surprised I never figured this out myself, but a fly rod guru has this tip on his site. If you like to use the nail knot, but have trouble keeping it from unraveling, especially with just two threads, try this. Tighten the knot as much as possible, arrange the threads in good alignment, pull tight again, then DON'T try to cut off the excess thread. Instead, put a very small drop of CP right on the knot and leave it. When it dries the knot will be more stable, and you can cut the excess (carefully) without unraveling the knot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nail knot tip
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 10, 2021 05:36PM

Or, one can use the following process, use about three pull threads to start the trim wrap about 8 or 9 wraps before the trim thread, but also have another pull thread in the wrap. Then, do your two thread trim wrap, and put the end of the thread in the pull loop that runs back under the main wrap and then pull the trim loops tight. I generally use at least 10 wraps to retain any tag end that I have pulled back and have never had any issues with any thread ever unraveling.

With a thread being held by 10 wraps, no issues with it ever coming loose on a wrap.

One just has to plan ahead and have plenty of pull loops available for a wrap and trim .

Take care

Date: August 10, 2021 05:43PM

Sorry, Roger, don't understand. I am really not interested in having multiple pull threads. If I want to deal with that I'll just pull, with a single extra pull thread, a one or two wrap trim thread back under the main wrap. This tip is for those who want to use the nail knot and also use CP. Which I know you do not.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 10, 2021 06:13PM

Without intending to “one-up” you Michael, similar can be used to produce a single-thread trim band, even stand-alone, isolated from other wraps. Apply CP to a cut length of thread enough for slightly more than one rotation of the blank. Wrap the thread around the blank, aligning the tag ends side-by-side. Wait until the CP is tacky enough (but not cured) to hold the thread in position. Using a fresh razor blade, cut 90* (or parallel to the blank) cleanly through both threads at the same time, and remove the cut-off tags. Use a pick, toothpick or whatever to manipulate and align the ends of the thread. This leaves the ends of the thread perfectly aligned without even the slight offset as typical with most wraps. Performed properly, one would need a magnifying glass to see the joint.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2021 06:51PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am surprised I never figured this out myself,
> but a fly rod guru has this tip on his site. If
> you like to use the nail knot, but have trouble
> keeping it from unraveling, especially with just
> two threads, try this. Tighten the knot as much
> as possible, arrange the threads in good
> alignment, pull tight again, then DON'T try to cut
> off the excess thread. Instead, put a very small
> drop of CP right on the knot and leave it. When
> it dries the knot will be more stable, and you can
> cut the excess (carefully) without unraveling the
> knot.

Exactly how it was presented in RodMaker all those many years ago...

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2021 07:39PM

If you do not want the CP effect, CA will work as well and faster.

Date: August 10, 2021 08:30PM

Michael, Tom and Phil,
If one is using regular nylon thread for whatever desired effect with the suggested nail knot method (or mine for that matter), what “glue” would work?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 10, 2021 08:51PM

A drop of PermaGloss works well.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: August 10, 2021 09:02PM

What is CA?

Date: August 10, 2021 09:35PM

"super glue"

Date: August 10, 2021 09:38PM

Bob,
CA = cyanoacrylate = commonly known as “Super Glue”.
Tom,
I would think PG, CP (or virtually anything) applied to a portion of regular nylon thread would seal that portion so it would not become translucent as with the remaining, uncoated thread. Am I missing or unaware of something? I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo

Date: August 10, 2021 10:23PM

Permagloss will turn the thread translucent. So it will be the same appearance as any subsequent finish you apply. PG is not a color preserver.

Date: August 10, 2021 11:23PM

Thanks, Tom; good to know.

Mark Talmo

Date: August 11, 2021 06:57AM

"Exactly how it was presented in RodMaker all those many years ago..." Evidently too many years ago for me to remember. Or maybe before I started reading it.

I've used the CA method , too, but don't like it as CA always seems to go where I don't want it.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2021 09:37AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> I am surprised I never figured this out myself,
> but a fly rod guru has this tip on his site. If
> you like to use the nail knot, but have trouble
> keeping it from unraveling, especially with just
> two threads, try this. Tighten the knot as much
> as possible, arrange the threads in good
> alignment, pull tight again, then DON'T try to cut
> off the excess thread. Instead, put a very small
> drop of CP right on the knot and leave it. When
> it dries the knot will be more stable, and you can
> cut the excess (carefully) without unraveling the
> knot.

That's the same method I use.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 11, 2021 05:09PM

How many of you use the "nail knot method" to add trim bands to existing wraps?

I find it especially handy for that.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2021 07:04PM

I us it, and CA to lock. CA does not act as a CP, translucency is same as the epoxy coat.

Date: August 11, 2021 07:53PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> How many of you use the "nail knot method" to add
> trim bands to existing wraps?
>
> I find it especially handy for that.

For an after the fact trim wrap on existing guide wrap, particularly with only 2 threads, the nail knot method works well.

Date: August 12, 2021 03:59PM

The only real need for employing a nail knot is for the narrow, isolated binding-wraps on bamboo cane blanks, and even then a pull-through loop could be used instead. How many of us are building those? I suppose adding a narrow trim band, AFTER-THE-FACT, to an existing wrap would warrant the use of the nail knot, but how often does that occur? There should not be any after-thoughts when wrapping a guide = it should all be planned out beforehand. All the comments regarding the need for CP, CA, PG, pull-through loops or such for a nail knot are obvious indications the method does not retain the thread securely, especially the narrower it is not to mention a single thread trim band which is impossible.
There is a QUICKER AND EASIER METHOD WHICH IS MORE PRECISE AND SECURE for producing trim bands, even as narrow as 1-thread = NO waiting for “glue” to dry, NO pull-through loops, NO toothpicks, NO questionably secured threads, NO tags protruding through the wrap = NO nubs, NO precise trimming required, and NO uneven starting and stopping points of the thread. The method I learned was simply and descriptively referred to as “Adding and Dropping Threads” and intended for changing thread color mid-wrap but I have employed it to produce trim bands of any width, including single-thread trim bands. Most likely, you are already using the method if changing colors within your wraps. I went into detail and included photos of the trim band method a few weeks ago. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Check it out if you haven’t already. While there is the saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”, I contend it depends on the dog. I am especially interested in opinions from Bruce, Russell and Phil who apparently use the nail knot method.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 12, 2021 04:13PM

I just use a clove hitch, but I'm a retired Coastie so I use what comes naturally. I use a drop of CP also from day one as my trim is usually black, white NCP, or some metallic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 04:16PM by Spencer Phipps.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster