I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mix and match blanks?
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:06AM

As I have mentioned in another thread I have a broken tip section and the blank (5FS9010-4) is no longer available. With so many 9' fly blanks in different weights and colors I have accumulated over the years there maybe a close match that fits the ferrule of the broken blank. Are there any concerns/issues/problems that I should know about before I build and use a tip section from a different graphite blank? It's not ideal of course, and the rod will not feel the same as before, but something is better than nothing I feel. Has anyone tried this before? Please advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mix and match blanks?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:30AM

#1 action ? as you said not the best , # 2 how it feels as You said not the best , # 3 loose sections as you said not the best , # 4 as you said not the best
# 5 as you said better than nothing , what else can be said , good luck

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2021 12:16PM

If you find a section that fits your current ferrule, go buy a lottery ticket. It'll be about as lucky as you'll ever be.

Date: August 08, 2021 12:43PM

Tom, I have already tested a few sections, they are pretty close except for the color. Can you tell me a reason why you believe it's hard? Isn't that article about fixing broken rods also suggesting finding a similar taper for inner/outer sleeves? I can also cut a section a bit to fit the taper of the ferrule if that is something that may work.

Or, do you guys think it's just a really bad idea to try a tip from a different blank? I am all ears.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 12:51PM

I believe that simply building a new rod with a new blank makes the most sense. It will be of a power and action that you know and understand, ferrule fit will be solid, appearance good, and there are a lot of very reasonably priced blanks available. You can even take the guides off the old rod and use them if you want.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 01:02PM

It is certainly worth a try. I have repaired a bunch of rods using sections from other broken rods and they worked well. Especially for tip sections. You want the taper to fit singly without any clicking. I put the pieces together, wrap the ferrule, to prevent splitting, and put a bend in the rod and check to see if I get a nice smooth curve without any funny looking angles caused by the section being too stiff or too soft. You will be surprised how many blanks have a similar taper. Mock everything up a go test cast it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Norm

Date: August 08, 2021 02:34PM

If this does work out well, and if you want the finishes to match, you can take off the finishes on all parts, careful around the guides, then coat with Permagloss for a nice natural color gloss, or have the whole thing painted one color.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 02:46PM

Like Michael states, I usually scape off the paint, and clear coat with Permagloss. The paint scapes off fairly easily, just takes a little time and elbow grease. Once clear coated everything will match nicely.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2021 03:28PM

You'll just have to try it. Where ferrules are concerned, close usually doesn't cut it. It has to be a dead-on fit. Otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time adjusting the tip or putting it back on when it flies off.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 03:35PM

If you get a good fit with the ferrule and the action feels good go for it, the fish don't care if your rod colors match.

Maybe you could discard the ferrules and replace them with a matched set that fit the blank.sections.

If either of these approaches work, you will truly have a "custom" rod.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 05:37PM

Just because it goes in and feels tight, does not mean the entire length of the ferrule is in contact.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 05:42PM

Could you possibly remove the ferrule section of the broken blank and fit it to the new tip? Would not be much different than fitting a outer sleeve except the one half would not be glued. Of course it all depends on how close or not the dimensions are.

Date: August 09, 2021 10:37AM

Thank you for the ideas guys! Sounds like it might just work with the right blank. Appreciate all the input here in this thread!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 09, 2021 09:09PM

What possible harm could it do? Go for it. Fish it a while to determine if it's a proper fit before you spend time stripping the paint and refinishing. How many times have I heard "that'll never work"?

Date: August 16, 2021 12:35PM

Let us know how it worked out.

Date: August 16, 2021 08:34PM

Will do!

Found a pretty close match I think... now need to tape the guides and go do some test casting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster