I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC's fly blank LMX-FAF909-4 Question
Posted by: Max Gerber (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 10:20AM

So I got 3 of these blanks from NFC, they are 9ft 9wts. I think they are "XRay" they have the ribbed texture. At the male ferrules they have to sand this texture off, which makes sense but they sanded all the way about an inch or so past where it would stop when fully put into the female end of the next section. Is this normal? It makes the rod look bad when put together I think. Could I put a wrap on it to cover it up? I only have a few rods under my belt so any advice is appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC's fly blank LMX-FAF909-4 Question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:09AM

They had to sand enough off to get the ferrule fit and to allow for any wear later, if they would have left an edge right at the junction you could soon have a loose ferrule. Others did the same with finish edges on their fly rods, bare blank showing for a bit.

Date: August 08, 2021 11:23AM

Ah that does make sense. Thank you for replying! I will probably just leave it as is then. I've never seen a textured rod before, totally new to me. I do love the blanks action and NFC had them shipped to me within 4 days.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 04:11PM

My Dan Craft Sig V 10 wt four piece is the same way and I have been fishing it for 15 years, nothing new.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 05:40PM

Max, you too can sand off the texture from the entire blank! Taking care with a 320 grit.to not get into the carbon fibers.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 07:38PM

No ferrule will wear to seat 1 inch further than when new.
Call them and ask for a replacement.
Herb

Posted by: Max Gerber (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2021 09:34AM

Thanks Herb, that's what threw me off. I wish I could post pictures. I will reach out to them and see what they say. I need these for a Chinook trip in September so I may just build these ones out. I know the performance is not compromised but aesthetically they just look weird. I'm going to talk to them and will let everyone know what they say.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 09, 2021 12:21PM

I think they are coming out with a fully sanded version of the blanks.

Date: August 09, 2021 02:28PM

Per NFC, the blanks are supposed to be this way. They called it a universal ferrule. I'm assuming this is so you can replace a section without sending the whole rod in. So the builds begin! Thanks for everyone's input. I'm a new member here and glad I have somewhere to go with questions

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster