I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji VSS Contoured Spinning Seat - Question
Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.33.---)
Date: August 08, 2021 08:35AM

Does anyone know what the differences are between the "Standard and Deluxe" models?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji VSS Contoured Spinning Seat - Question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 09:53AM

The deluxe version has a slightly different finish and hood color. No difference in performance. I normally just buy the body (without a hood) and use a hidden thread hood.
Norm

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:14AM

Norman, does the hidden thread hood color match the deluxe or standard version of the reel seat body?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 11:16AM by Bob Ginther.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:54AM

Leonard, I'm not sure of your experience level, so I'll assume you are fairly new at this. I strongly suggest that unless you are building for a person with very small hands you go with the size 17. My span from thumb tip to little finger tip is 9 inches, and I always build with a 17. I have found 16's just too small for all day comfort.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 01:51PM

The size 17 VSS seat when fitted to a VSS grip has an OD of about 27 mm, and is thus is quite comfortable. The size 16 IPS seat, another contoured Fuji seat,, also has an OD of about 27 mm, because of it smaller ID it requires a smaller arbor in order to fit the blank. The smaller arbor means less insulation between the blank and the reel seat.
The deluxe model may be slightly darker than the standard model, but really not by much. Hard to tell the difference, except for the gold lettered decal that gets covered by the reel foot. For the hidden thread hoods I use either the KDPS or KSKSS, with an appropriate cork, EVA or carbon fiber hood sleeve. The TVS hoods will also fit the VSS or IPS seats. You can also use the regular graphite hood such as the Fuji SKSS or TVSS, instead of the standard hood. NFC sells carbon fiber grips that fit the VSS or IPS seats. They are really quite nice and basically bullet proof.
Norm

Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-253-66.myvzw.com)
Date: August 10, 2021 01:46PM

If they are not sold out... been waiting 2 months for my 1k carbon fiber VSS grips.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2021 06:56PM

Try the IPS carbon fiber grip, I like it better. It has a fatter profile and fits my hand better than 16 VSS.
Norm

Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.33.---)
Date: August 25, 2021 09:05AM

After doing some more research I came across some specs on Fuji's website with their VSS dimensions I thought I'd share:

The ID of the VSS 16 is 13mm , The ID of the VSS17 is 16mm.

The Short CORK & Duplon for size 17 is 111mm long 25 mm out side diameter , 6 mm bore

The Short CORK & Duplon for size 16 is 99mm long 23 mm OD x 6mm bore

The Long Duplon Rear Grip 16 (only) is 240 mm long 23 mm OD x10 mm bore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster