I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gen 4 epoxy, evaluation Please
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 12:02AM

Now that Gen 4 has been out there, and in use, has anyone any comments on its longevity, resistance to the elements, lasting strength, etc.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gen 4 epoxy, evaluation Please
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:21AM

Robert, to address your questions, I honestly feel all of you concerns are of NO concern. I’ve not had a single issue with it whatsoever. It has NOT become brittle or otherwise broken down in any form or fashion. I am not sure what you are after regarding longevity. I have had rods built with it on the water every week since the middle of February and have experienced ZERO issues.

It is in my opinion the absolute best product on the market for my needs and builds! I believe if you try it you will be very pleased with it. It was created by the same gentleman who brought us the “original “ Threadmaster. It has a great deal of science, research and testing incorporated into it. It was not tossed together on a whim or rebadged from an existing product.

Best of luck, take care

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 11:39AM

Robert,

Two words.

It works !!!!

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: August 08, 2021 02:57PM

I used to use regular Threadmaster but I have been using the Gen 4 for the last couple builds . The regular Threadmaster doesn't have nearly as long a working time as Gen 4 does and the regular Threadmaster dries considerably faster than Gen 4 does . Both produce stunning and crystal clear results

At this point I think I will go back to regular Threadmaster because of it's quicker set up time and curing time . When I first started building I would of preferred the much longer working time of Gen 4 but these days I don't need to have a working time of a half hour and an extended drying time which is a negative to me because I'm in an environment where dust and other contaminants are likely to ruin my wraps unless I have a speedy curing time . I build only a few rods a year and don't even have room to build a drying box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 02:58PM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 04:00PM

Thanks everyone. I suspected that Gen 4 was a solid product, and have it for my next rod build.. I just wanted to see if it lived up to its reputation in the eal world. I tried Flex-One when it first came out. After a couple of years, I noticed edges of the thread coating started to peel away from the blank. than experience problems down the road. So I figured better to ask questions

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Re: Gen 4 epoxy, evaluation
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 04:29PM

The Gen4 epoxy has not been around very long. So no one knows what to expect long term. With that said, it is appears to be a quality product. Takes a little longer to cure than TreadMaster, but otherwise it gives a good hard, smooth, and bumble free finish,
Norm

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 09:15PM

I’ve been using it since the beginning of last winter. Like the other gents who have posted their positive comments, I am also impressed with the results. Yes, it does take a bit longer to reach full cure than Regular Threadmaster, but it’s not a big deal to me.

The big thing that I have noticed is when it is applied to a “clear or natural fiberglass” blank, you can see a difference in how clear the finish looks compared to the other brands I have used. So far thru this summer, they have stayed that way. Time will tell on how long that will remain.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 09, 2021 08:15AM

Painting a blank with epoxy slows the rod's action. Is there any difference in weight/thickness between Gen 4 and previous Gens?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2021 08:53AM

Coating a rod with epoxy slows the rod's speed - the action (where the rod initially flexes) remains unchanged.

Date: August 09, 2021 02:01PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Painting a blank with epoxy slows the rod's
> action. Is there any difference in
> weight/thickness between Gen 4 and previous Gens?

Words like 'Paint' a rod with epoxy to this very day still confuses some people . We still see posts by people that think rod building thread epoxy is something that should be applied to the entire rod which is not the case at all so we need to be careful and make sure people understand that Gen 4 , Threadmaster, Flex Coat, Pro Kote rod building finish, Classic coat , LS Supreme etc... are thread finish epoxies that are only to be used to cover guide wraps & decorative wraps but were never meant to be used to cover the entire rod .

Unless of course your goal is to build the heaviest least responsive rod possible .

As far as Gen 4 's weight and thickness compared to previous generations , there are no previous generations . Andy came up with the Threadmaster line but Gen 4 is all new .

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: August 10, 2021 06:35AM

Where is it available?

Date: August 10, 2021 02:32PM

I know 'Get Bit ' has had it from the beginning and now 'Mudhole' just started carrying it .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2021 06:52PM

Mudhole and HFF, both of which are sponsors here. I apologize if I left any other sponsors out.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: August 10, 2021 07:26PM

Mud hole

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster