I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cost effective rod guides for bait cast to surf rods
Posted by: Robert L Jackson (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 07:48PM

I am very new to this and have redone several different rods and am ready to add some rod guides but I need to try and keep my costs down as I'm still kind of in a trial stage at the rebuilding process and have already invested quite a bit at this point. Most of my rods are from about 6' 8" to 12'. Most of the guides I have taken off have been larger 2 foot older chrome guides but are in very poor condition and I would like to replace them with the same. Is there a good multi sized full set that you could recommend that would be a good generalized solution to my needs.? Most of my reels going on are Garcia Mitchell's ranging from the 300's to a 488. I am at a loss. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cost effective rod guides for bait cast to surf rods
Date: August 07, 2021 08:11PM

Also I have seen the Microwave carp and surf guides and was hoping to get some feed back on that. I didn't know if that could be a possible solution to my problem. Not sure I'm convinced they would look quite right with the rod set-ups I am working on but I have never seen them in person. Again, thank you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 09:23PM

I guess you need to decide if you want to build period correct rods, or better rods? Today's guides are so much better and lighter, not sure I'd go with Microwave guides out the gate, the Pac Bay Minimas, or AmTack Vortex Air guides would be a step up and economical option. Read all the articles in the library and you'll select an improved guide system over what you had.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 04:59AM

American Tackle also offers XSG and XBSG which are simple chromed word guides if they are similar to what you already have. I do agree with Spencer however on updating to something more modern. I wouldn't shy away from microwaves, they are quality guides and work great.

Date: August 08, 2021 08:47AM

I appreciate it. I haven't really had an opportunity to look at the library much as I've been very busy at work but I will take a look and probably go ahead and order a set or two from your suggestions and I have one in particular I want to throw lures with I was thinking about putting the microwave on if you think they would work well for that. I've kinda gotten alittle anxious and ready to see a completed rod but there are alot of options on the market. P.s. I'm still wrapping them by hand and even though it's quite time consuming I've really enjoyed it! Not had time for a hobby since I was a child. Take care-

Date: August 08, 2021 09:55AM

I'm going to try a set of the Pacific Bays and a Microwave with the Air Vortex. I think they will function well and look good with my early projects and are still alot cheaper than some I've looked at with mixed reviews. Thank you for the advice.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 10:26AM

The MicroWave guides are a great set, either in the 50's or the 30's. If you are willing to use black, the American Tackle Delta guides are also and excelleng budget-friendly choice.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 10:30AM

It sounds like you are fishing saltwater. Some of it in the surf. If so you need to get something that will stand up to the salt. I'd suggest something in a 316 stainless frame.

I wouldn't try to match the old guides nor where they were located. For what I think you are trying to do I suggest reading the 27X guide placement article in the library. It is fast, easy, and works well for big spinning reels as long as you understand that on a short rod with a big reel your rod tip might be your choker guide and you might end up with 6 or more reduction guides. Next on the reading list is the two line static guide placement article. Follow those articles and your rods will be much better.

I don't think guides are a wise place to pinch pennies if you are fishing in the salt. The extra buck or two per guide is a lot less than having to replace/re-wrap later on.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 09, 2021 02:36PM

I have fished for carp and fished the surf for many decades without bothering to match rod guides to target species, or even to weight, bait, or lure/bait type. Where can I find a guide (besides advertising) which reveals what guides are best for which species of fish?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster