I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SC5 fly blanks?
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2021 02:26PM

A client of mine broke his favorite fly rod I had built for him on St. Croix 5FS9010-4 blank. I called St.Croix and they told me they no longer provide any warranty and sent me to Rodgeeks. The Rodgeeks said they only have SC2 and SC4 fly blanks. Now that is the problem... I am sure I am not the only one in this interesting situation. Has anyone of you guys been able to get a replacement tip section from any source for those SC5 blanks? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SC5 fly blanks?
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: August 07, 2021 04:01PM

I got to see a early release 2022 St. Croix catalog and it appears the 'Imperial fly rod' which doesn't utilize SC V material is the only model they now offer which surprised me. I'm a huge St. Croix fan but despite that fact when you claim to make " The best rods on earth" but have failed to produce a top of the line fly rod that's competitive with other manufactures best fly rods that says a lot . At least to me it does .

Your best bet it to check the sponsors and look for existing inventory because it appears St. Croix has decided to go in a different direction.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 06:45PM

Fishing tackle in the U.S.A. features some spectacular mark-ups, which is a good thing because our environment is producing a steady decrease in productive sport fishing locations. If it doesn't say "Made in the U.S.A." it is most certainly an import, even if the price does not reflect this fact.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 07:33PM

Anyone with a blank would want to sell you the whole blank, otherwise you are going to have to find someone who broke another section and is in your same boat. Like G Loomis, Lamiglas, and others if they no longer make the rod, they will offer you the most similar model as a replacement. I may know someone with that blank, but they appear to be at Sage prices when you could get them.

Date: August 07, 2021 08:43PM

Yeah, those blanks are/were expensive. I was thinking if I just find another 9' 4 piece blank in a similar aqua blue color with a tip section that a close fit it would probably make this rod functional again. It won't be the same, but something is better than nothing. It should work, right?

Meanwhile, I can work with St. Croix/Rodgeeks to get a replacement blank they currently offer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 09:31PM

Finding a similar saltwater fly blank, similar color that fits would be like winning the lottery. Good luck.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 10:33AM

If you can find a proper tip section that fits and has the correct action, but doesn't match the color, there is another solution. Don Shafar at Backbone Custom Rods is a miracle-worker with colors. He can paint a blank to match just about anything you can come up with...

Date: August 08, 2021 11:11AM

That's good to know! Thanks Richard!

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 01:03PM

Your only potential would be to find a used rod. Otherwise you will have to buy or wrap a new rod that is similar. RodGeeks C4 rods are basically the same as the St. Croix Imperial. It seems to me that St. Croix found it impossible to compete with other rod companies for the fly rod segment, particularly in the mid-price category. I would suspect their American production costs were part of the problem.

Date: August 08, 2021 02:37PM

" It seems to me that St. Croix found it impossible to compete with other rod companies for the fly rod segment, particularly in the mid-price category. I would suspect their American production costs were part of the problem"

Actually St.Croix was very competitive in years past with their mid priced fly rods. What they failed at was being able to come up with a top of the line fly rod that compared favorably with other manufacturers top of the line fly rods . The Legend Elites and Extremes always got middle of the road performance ratings when fly rod shootout's were conducted . You would think that with the resources and decades of experience they would be able to consistently produce a truly awesome performing top of the line fly rod that would rate top 3 year in year out but that has not been the case.

Jason Brunner is an excellent designer and engineer but he's no Steve Rajeff , Jerry Siem or Gary Loomis unfortunately .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2021 03:32PM

The St. Croix fly rods were easily the equal of any of the so called "premium" makers' rods. Most of these magazine shoot offs are won by the most powerful rod in any given line weight category. St. Croix typically didn't under-rate their rods to the same extent as the other makers do so they didn't win the distance contest, which unfortunately, tends to be the overriding qualification for the best rod.

Date: August 08, 2021 03:57PM

That's a very fair argument , didn't even think of it that way.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 09, 2021 12:24PM

If they were very competitive -- and making money at it -- they would not have pulled the plug.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster