I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Touching up blemishes and scratches in old guide wrap question
Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.33.---)
Date: August 06, 2021 08:50AM

I have some older rods where the clear coat over the decal, name and action description, has scratches from years of use. I was wondering if anyone has tried sanding out the scratches and then reapplying a fresh coat of thread wrap epoxy? I know on cars, the clear coat can be sanded and when a new coat of clear is applied the two melt together for a clear like new finish.

Will the above technique also work with thread wrap epoxy like Flex Coat or will the sanded surface be seen once recoated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Touching up blemishes and scratches in old guide wrap question
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 09:09AM

Leonard,
Whenever that happens, I simply apply an additional coat of finish over the scratched area and that normally takes care of the issue. Just a nice even thin coat, after the area has been washed clean and you should be good to go.
After washing, be sure that the complete area is 100% dry so that there is no trapped moisture under the new coat of finish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 09:56AM

Right on, Roger. It's amazing how wrap epoxy fills in and hides old scratches. No need to sand, some advocate scuffing the old surface, but Roger and I have posted that we have done without scuffing just fine.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 08:59PM

Leonard,
In this rod building case, I agree with Roger and Michael = make certain it is very clean, allow it to thoroughly dry and recoat with your favorite thread finish. While there are methods to ensure better bonding of the old and new epoxy, that deals more with structural applications and this is certainly not. I am confident you will be very pleased with a simple recoat of finish.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Sharon Walgamotte (---.90.185.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 08, 2021 05:57AM

Leonard, I've done this also and totally agree with the other three Gentlemen. When I'm doing rod repairs I mix a certain amount of finish anyway and I go ahead and spruce up the rest of the rod

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 09:22AM

I have used both finish epoxy and Permagloss to bring an old decal back to life on an old rod. The Permagloss is very easy to apply with a foam brush while turning, and gives a very thin smooth coat that is not prone to any waviness or sagging problems like that of an improperly applied epoxy finish. If using epoxy just make sure to use a thin coat.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster