I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Frog Blank?
Posted by: Andrew Shie (---.dvnpiaaa.metronetinc.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 01:33PM

Would like to hear some feedback on everyone's preferred frog blank. This is going to be a dedicated frog rod throwing in thick stuff. Prefer something in the 7' to 7'2 range but cutting down a longer blank wouldn't bother me.

I've heard good things about the Point Blank 73HXF. Also been interested in the new RainShadow Eternity ETEC74H but haven't heard anything on it yet. Both look great but maybe a little overkill for a technique in which sensitivity doesn't really matter?

The United Composites DHX series has also piqued my interest. Their blanks seem to be a tad heavier than competitors, but I've also heard they're extremely durable. Can anyone comment on this, or on UC blanks in general? Mainly was looking at their UC70XH and UC705, which both seem like they'd get the job done, just haven't seen much talk about UC for freshwater/bass use.

I've also looked at several NFC blanks, like the X-ray SJ736. Their MB708 and MB709 blanks seem like they would be absolute broom sticks but I'd love to hear one's experiences with those as well.

I know this has been covered before but I wanted to hear some more feedback as there are some new blanks on the market. Thanks all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 01:34PM by Andrew Shie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Frog Blank?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2021 07:37PM

I totally agree .... sensitivity is not an attribute that is hugely important in a dedicated frog rod. Because of that, I personally wouldn't be looking at anything like a Point Blank, or the new RX10 Eternity. While the lightness of those blanks would be a definite plus, it's just overkill IMO.

Concerning the NFC blanks you mentioned. I built two rods on supposedly MB 736 X ray blanks, but I think they are actually SJ 736 X ray blanks. The blank dimensions match the dimensions on NFC's website for the SJ 736. That and the fact that they sent me decals for SJ 736's when I requested decals for the blanks I ordered (the blanks didn't come with decals when I received them) makes me think they are SJ 736 blanks. Whatever the case may be ........ in no way is the SJ 736 anywhere near a frog rod blank. No where near the power for a frog rod.

Now the MB 709 you mentioned. That's a different story. It has gobs of power. I built a rod on that blank that I use primarily for flipping and pitching, but I have fished a frog with it just to see if I liked it. First off, while it has a lot of power, I wouldn't consider it a broom stick. I did CCS tests on it for IP and AA and the numbers I came up with were an IP of 1045, and an AA of 69 - 70. It's listed as a moderate fast action, and I would say the numbers bear that out. As for a my opinion on it being a good dedicated frog rod, I would say no. My personal preference for a frog rod is a fast action blank. I want something that is going to move the fish on a hook set, and while the MB 709 has the power, the slower action IMO, lessens it's ability to really move a fish on the hook set. If you're fishing a Teckel Frog or walking a frog in more open water or moderate cover, then yes, I would say it would be fine. But if you're fishing over matted vegetation. I would say no. .

A blank to consider might be a blank from Rainshadow. I have a rod I built on an Immortal IMMC72MH blank. I use it for flipping and pitching but I also fish a frog with it when I am fishing over heavy vegetation. I did CCS tests on it and it has an IP of 1079 and an AA of 75. As you can see it has slightly more power than the MB 709, with a faster action, and It will flat out move a fish on the hook set. I will say I had a rod built on that blank that broke, but it was an unfortunate boat side incident with a 40+" muskie. And even though I did have that one break, it is a durable blank. You don't really need a blank with the kind of sensitivity of the Immortal series, but Rainshadow offers that blank in their Revelation series, and if it has the same power as the Immortal version, I think it would make a great frog rod.

Anyhow ..... just a few opinions to think of.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 07:59PM

At the risk of sounding foolish - what is a frog rod?
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 08:01PM

Andrew,
Why would one want to fish for frogs? lol Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 08:07PM

Ahhhhh
You're casting frog lures - or live frogs.
Sorry bout that.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 09:54PM

Isn't a rod with an AA of 69-70 degrees fast approaching XF? 65+ was fast action wasn't it?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 07:37PM

I built on the old version of the hydra FL904F NG and think it is great blank for frog fishing. Softer tip for throwing lighter frogs but solid backbone. Of course now that it is $135 I might call that too expensive for a frog rod. I have the PB you mentioned, and I'm sure it would be a great frog rod, but something that sensitive I think deserves to be a bottom contact rod. From NFC, I completely agree with David that the xray MB736 and SJ736 (I think I have one of each...) are not powerful enough to fish a frog properly (or rather extract fish properly). I you wanted to go NFC I would think a delta would be the best value for a frog rod, but unfortunately I can't tell you which one. Immortals are also great, but I don't have experience with the 72MH.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 01:29PM

I built a frog rod for a customer that was a Rodgeeks B276HF cut to 7'3". They absolutely love it for frogs. I would recommend it as well.

Posted by: Joel Babin (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2021 11:28AM

I don’t have any experience personally, but in my search for a frog rod blank the Phoenix UMBX XH in either 7’ or 7’-3” gets recommended a lot. Older blanks, but probably worth looking into. The other blank besides the hydra that comes up often is the MHX 874.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 10, 2021 12:02PM

Frog fishing in my area is a big deal, and I’ve made and used both the Point Blank PB731HXF and the MHX MB874 for frog rods. For a dedicated frog or topwater rod the the MHX MB874 works extremely well and certainly cost less. It’s a very good buy. The PB731HXF is lighter and more sensitive and thus is more versatile, since it can be used for techniques where sensitivity is important.
Norm

Posted by: Joel Babin (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2021 12:00PM

Is the tip on the MB874 soft?

Date: August 11, 2021 12:33PM

The MB874 has a fast tip, not as soft as the PB731HXF, but throws and works a frog very well and has enough power to pull a bass from pads or slop.
[www.mudhole.com]
The MB874 has an IP=1047gm and an AA=72, The PB731HXF has an IP=947gm and an AA=77. Both work well.
Norm
PS - I should mention that the NFC MB709 IM has an IP=878 gm and an AA=64, and the NFC MB739 IM has an IP=926 gm and AA=65. In case you are interested. These NFC CCS numbers are from NFC, they use to list their CCS data.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 01:01PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 12, 2021 10:24AM

Sounds like a snatch-hook rod has the same qualities that are desirable in a frog rod?

Posted by: Andrew Shie (---.dvnpiaaa.metronetinc.net)
Date: August 12, 2021 01:59PM

Norm,

Do you realize that difference in IP between the MB874 and the PB731HXF when you fish them? Hook setting power, turning/fighting the fish, etc? Does the disparity in weight between the two make a difference on the water? The CCS numbers David provided on the IMMC72MH seem really impressive to me, given the new ETEC74HF rx10 is listed as having the same tip size and a larger butt (.555 compared to .625) but only an IP of 912g and AA of 72.

Date: August 12, 2021 04:55PM

The MB874 does feel more powerful than the PB731HXF. However, the PB731HXF has a very unique feel about because of it’s light weight, softer tip and very powerful butt section. Both will set the hook and turn a fish with no problem.
Here is the Rod House comparator showing the ETEC74HF, IMMC72MH, and MHC MB844 Blanks. Unfortunately Rod House doesn’t have the MB874 or the PB731HXF. As you can see all three of these blanks have identical bend profiles when using 800 gm.
[www.rodhouse.fr]
Norm
Didn’t come through the way I expected, but click the add to the comparator button and all three blanks will show up.
It’s a pretty neat tool, if they sell the blanks you are interested in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 05:04PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: August 16, 2021 10:20PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS - I should mention that the NFC MB709 IM has
> an IP=878 gm and an AA=64, and the NFC MB739 IM
> has an IP=926 gm and AA=65. In case you are
> interested. These NFC CCS numbers are from NFC,
> they use to list their CCS data.

Thanks for that information Norm. It prompted me to use the waybackmachine (internet archive) from June 16th 2015 and was able to download the old NFC Specs.pdf. Obviously not comprehensive as it's a bit dated now, but useful information for all the classic NFC blanks.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2021 08:16AM

My PB76MHXF blank does double duty- flipping/pitching and frog duty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster