I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank like ST Croix xtreme spinning LXS76MLXF2 ?
Posted by: Martijn Ferio (---.cable.dynamic.v6.ziggo.nl)
Date: August 05, 2021 09:29AM

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting my own rod build by a rod builder here in Holland. I have found someone who's working with NFC blanks and I know they deliver quality, but I have no idea about the blanks.

I just know that the LXS76MLXF2 is fantastic as I've fished with it before, super sensitive, felt everything in this rod even the smallest nibble. This one is now completely sold out and production has stopped, otherwise I would have gotten this one.

So getting to my question: What blank is as good as the blank ST croix used for the LXS76MLXF2 or perhaps even better?

7'6
Medium-Light
Extra-Fast
2 piece

Will be mostly using it for carolina rig, ned rig and small plugs/topwater

NFC is preferable as the guy is working with these blanks mostly, but open to any other quality blank brand.

It just needs to be the right one and there's tons of experience here!

Thanks everyone!

Btw, I'm also open for rod builders in europe or perhaps outside if they deliver quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 09:31AM by Martijn Ferio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank like ST Croix xtreme spinning LXS76MLXF2 ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 11:24AM

I know of the rod you speak of, I have the 1 piece version I built from a blank and just love it. The super light tip and bend will not be easy to find. For us old guys, we're looking for a blank with bend characteristics of the G Loomis P8400, or the Shikari P7000, IP7000, or PP7000, material wise at least the PP7000, but St. Croix has an even softer tip, same abrupt lock up after the tip folds over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 11:28AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 07:39PM

Maftin

I did notice that Rodgeeks has the St Croix SC5 with the exact specs two piece but only in a 7 ft length is that is an option ??

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 08:37PM

I was going to suggest that Tom but it isn't XF (unless I missed one). The blank referenced above is actually a blend of SC 6 and SC 5 .

Spencer, would the HS 7600-2 be a candidate (assuming he wishes to stay with NFC)?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 11:34AM

The NFC Hotshot blank Russell mentions will be a stiffer in the tip and have more backbone, unless Gary found a way to fix it, as his G Loomis versions modulus went up the tip got stiffer and slower, at least that is the experience I have had between my GL3 AND GLX versions, even the IMX is considerably stiffer in the tip. Few sticks out there have the soft tip of my St. Croix 5S76MLXF. The MHX 9000 that was discontinued I believe may be now the MHX HS9600 and -2 two pc. may have a similar tip, but the 9000 I think was lighter powered and it's lower modulus material. I have had no need to try the MHX 9600s in any form, I have plug rods coming out my ears, but it's a possibility.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 07, 2021 02:06PM

I do happen to have the MHX version you mention. They call it SJ9000-2. The tip is soft and it is XF. However I would not call it sensitive. You see hits , not feel them. Fun and versatile rod, but I don't think it is remotely in the class of blank being discussed. They still offer it though.

So much for that train of thought.

I have tried some of the fresh water NFC blanks (FW series). The FW 702-2 is a nice blank, and they call it XF, but I wouldn't. I have the SJ 703-1 and SJ 732-1. They are listed as XF but I think it both are more powerful than desired. I'm really reaching, but maybe one of their drop shot blanks? I don't have any but I have read they aren't as strong as the ratings suggest.

Spencer is suggesting a zero power inshore popping rod. I can tell you the old titanium chrome RX8? Rainshadow ones were very nice if you can still find any. I would call them XF, especially for a popping rod, but the tips aren't soft. But then mine are the two heaviest powers they offered so I wouldn't expect a soft tip.

Good luck with your quest. Sounds like a tough one. Maybe look on-line for a used St. Croix (best get a couple while you can).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Martijn Ferio (---.cable.dynamic.v4.ziggo.nl)
Date: August 09, 2021 04:01AM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I know it would be a tough one, thought I could get close to that blank but seems I have to get an used one. In my country (Holland) they are rare, so I guess I have to look elsewhere.

Do you guys have any suggestions where to look and keep watch for possible offers?

Posted by: Martijn Ferio (---.cable.dynamic.v4.ziggo.nl)
Date: August 09, 2021 04:01AM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I know it would be a tough one, thought I could get close to that blank but seems I have to get an used one. In my country (Holland) they are rare, so I guess I have to look elsewhere.

Do you guys have any suggestions where to look and keep watch for possible offers?

Posted by: Dean Veltman (108.62.107.---)
Date: August 09, 2021 05:21PM

Look at the reviews for the 7-6 mlxf and the 7-0 mlf St. Croix rods on TackleTour.com. The way they compare blanks in the graphs makes the two of them look fairly similar, at least to me. Maybe you could extend a 7-0 blank?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster