I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing Roller Tip Epoxy?
Posted by: Rick Sikorski (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 09:20AM

Im new at the heavier rods. What kind of adhesive does anyone recommend when installing a Winthrop roller tip on a 50-100lb trolling rod? Hot glue or Epoxy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Roller Tip Epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2021 10:16AM

5-minute epoxy is most likely your best bet on that size and type rod.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 12:35PM

I second Tom.
Any time it is a heavy rod, I like the Five Minute Epoxy.
Note, NOT regular.
5 minute can be removed with heat.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 02:18PM

Rick,
No one will dispute that Tom and Ron have more experience than I do. Additionally, no one will dispute that epoxy will provide a stronger bond.
That being understood, and even though Ron states “5 minute can be removed with heat”, I only use tip top adhesive (the hot-melt type) to insure the tip top can be removed (if needed) without possible damage to the blank. IT IS MORE THAN STRONG ENOUGH IF APPLIED PROPERLY!!! Think about it = just because the tip top is mounted on a 100lb rod does not mean there will be 100lb of force trying to pull it off! I doubt there would ever be 5lb of force = it is not like the line is tied to the top and directly trying to pull it off. With a roller tip top, there isn’t even the miniscule amount of friction as the line passes the ring. I have built a number of salt rods without any problem, but again, not as many as either Tom or Ron.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2021 05:57PM

In the past nearly every record fish was landed on a rod with a tip-top secured with heat-melt adhesive. I haven't seen any evidence that epoxy-secured tip-tops have improved one's chances of landing a record fish. This appears to be an advertising/sales/profit dispute, not a serious concern for serious anglers.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 10:17PM

Phil wrote;
"In the past nearly every record fish was landed on a rod with a tip-top secured with heat-melt adhesive."

Without documentation or validated facts sounds like HYPE to me. It's something a proponent of hot melt glue would say.

Phil, no offense intended.

Rick, it is obvious I prefer epoxy, but the fact is, hot melt is the number one choice for attaching tips to blanks and if you choose hot melt you won't go wrong.

Have fun.

John

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 06, 2021 08:29AM

John:

You got me. My investment portfolio consists almost entirely of hot-glue stocks.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2021 03:06PM

I have built dozens of rods of this type.....I wouldn't use anything other that 5 min epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster