I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Oder?
Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 11:13PM

I use both Flex Coat and Threadmaster high build finishes. I like them both and can’t decide which I like best. It’s been a while since I bought some new Flex Coat and just purchased some last week. I used it last night and it seemed like it had a different oder, a lot stronger. Just wondering if they changed something in it or am I just getting wacky in my old age. Anyone else notice this new oder. My wife would probably agree with the wacky part!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Oder?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 03:06PM

Tim,
I cannot comment on “older versions” of Flex Coat due to just trying my first batch within the 6 months. I was testing quite a few different thread finishes to discover which performed the best FOR ME. I did notice Flex Coat having more smell to it than the others, but not offensive. As you, I discovered that Flex Coat and ThreadMaster were my preference, but in the thinner versions. When the thinnest and/or clearest finish is paramount, CTS Crystal Coat is the winner but one needs to accept an extremely long cure time. FC and TM are my go-to finishes.
I would not be surprised if John from FlexCoat replies = his/their customer service is second to none!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 03:32PM

Epoxy resins and catalyst are made in small batches and short runs to a formula usually given to the manufacturer by the distributor / buyer. Sometimes these are not made to exact standards and can have varying degrees of properties and still pass lab test for acceptable product. There are many factors that can affect this like cleaning between different runs and the operators competence to precisely mix the formulas. If they work and have an acceptable performance then you are ok.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2021 04:57AM

Can't speak to flexcoat specifically. I have noticed any type of epoxy seems to smell stronger to me when it is warmer. Storing it or applying it at a higher temp than in the past?

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2021 01:24PM

Gentlemen, I just returned from vacation. Our Flex Coat Highbuild formula is the same as it ever was. Our Ultra-V is the most UV protected and my personal favorite for all applications and our Lite is a great option for achieving thin coats more easily like on fly rods. Epoxy does have an odor, sometimes more than others. Storage length and temperature can play a role.

Flex Coat Finish is the original two part epoxy finish that started it all and all others are compared to. In 1977 the whole world was looking for a great rod finish and Roger Seiders had it.

There are many finishes out there these days and we still believe ours to be the best. That is to say the best balance between all the variables in a good rod finish: pot life, workability, adhesion, and clarity to name a few. Some brands emphasize one of these things and lose site of the rest. We are a small company out of Driftwood, Tx that sells worldwide. We answer our phone and love talking to customers. It isn't out of the ordinary to call here and talk directly to Roger. If you catch him on the right day he will talk your ear off. We develop, manufacture, assemble and ship all of our equipment right here. We are rod builders and we know rod building. Give us a call 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2021 05:00PM by John Cates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster