I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Priorities
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 11:03AM

Three necessities for sport fishing are a reel, a line, and a rod. For anglers fishing with conventional reels the reel is probably the most important of the three - what with backlashes and over-runs. For anglers with spinning rods the rod is probably the most important of the three. There's not much difference between one stationary spool and the next, except diameter. For fly fishers, the line is the most important of the three, since the fly reel does not participate in the cast and the fly line, not the fly rod, does the casting. Don't believe it? Put a couple guides and a tip-top on a dowel rod and tape on a reel filled with fly line. A double-haul fly caster will easily cast it 75 feet or more. There are those who can cast a full fly line with no rod at all, just their hand, and those who can't cast a $1,200 fly rod thirty feet!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priorities
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 11:11AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Three necessities for sport fishing are a reel, a
> line, and a rod.

take a read from wikipedia on history of sport fishing:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Recreational fishing, also called sport fishing, is fishing for pleasure or competition. It can be contrasted with commercial fishing, which is fishing for profit, or subsistence fishing, which is fishing for survival.

The most common form of recreational fishing is done with a rod, reel, line, hooks and any one of a wide range of baits.

Most recreational fishers use a fishing rod with a fishing line and a hook at the end of the line. The rod may be equipped with a reel so the line can be reeled in, and some form of bait or a lure attached to the hook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"the rod MAY be equipped with a reel" and maybe not.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 09:45PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 04, 2021 11:44AM

I think that sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and away from the basics. For the last 9 or 10 years I've helped out with a kid's fishing program for kids 4-17 at a State Fish Hatchery here in Southern Michigan. Catch and Release for bluegill and largemouth bass. We run over 2,000 kids through the program on the weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day and furnish everything: bait, and rods with spincast reels because most of the kids can't get their heads around using a spinning reel. That makes my life easier too, because I clean and repair all the reels (80+) and I can get through the spincast reels a lot faster. Last week the fish weren't especially cooperative, so I went back to my truck where I had a 9' telescoping fiberglas "cane pole", put a worm on it, and started to catch fish hand over fist. The kids were flabbergasted. "Where is the reel? How do you fish with that? Can I try?" I told their parents that it was basically Tenkara before Tenkara was cool. Even most of the parents couldn't recall using a cane pole. I've got 6 more of them and a feeling that they are going to be in great demand this weekend. Funny.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 12:21PM

Message deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 12:33PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 04, 2021 01:27PM

Don't stop with a rod MAY be equipped with a reel. If tautologies are the issue then "noodling" fish with bare hands - no rod, or reel, or line - MAY be considered sport fishing. [I'm not sure whether to classify spearing, rotenone, dynamite or gill-netting as sport fishing.] I'll stand by my original point: the three Main Types of Sport Fishing are: bait-casting, spin-casting, and fly-casting. Retailers will support my claim. If you spread the news that fishing without a reel is sport fishing you will provoke the wrath of thousands of American importers of Asian-made fishing reels and fishing lines!

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 01:43PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If
> you spread the news that fishing without a reel is
> sport fishing you will provoke the wrath of
> thousands of American importers of Asian-made
> fishing reels and fishing lines!

Possibly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 09:44PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: August 04, 2021 04:28PM

Phil

I agree.

If I make a statement that when someone goes fishing they need a rod, reel, line, hook and bait. There is always some one that will challenge me with "you don't need a rod or reel" to catch fish. I instantly agree and I issue a challenge, lets ask 100 people "what do you need to go fishing?" For every one who omits the rod or reel I will give you $1 for everyone who mentions rod or reel you give me $1, It is amazing how few folks will now challenge me.

The rod, reel, line, hook and bait are pretty much a given.

For example if you said John I like hiking, I hike regularly, I would think that you would be wearing good quality hiking boots or shoes, it would never enter my mind that there is some guy in the Himalayas that hikes bare foot and I was wrong in my thinking..

Have fun

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: August 04, 2021 05:05PM

I find fishing to be more successful with a decent rod and line. A $50 baitcaster is not a problem for me. I love my DC Shimanos and my Lews Tournaments but I can find success with a cheapo in the right ratio much better than I can a Metanium on an ugly stick.

Date: August 04, 2021 06:39PM

Message deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 08:18PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 09:45AM

Earlier this year I discovered fixed-line fishing, which entails using a telescoping rod with line fixed to its tip. This can take the form of tenkara for fly fishing, or keiryu for those who use bait. I love it. So simple! And so much more efficient for close-range fishing for small to modest-sized fish!

I have not gotten rid of all of my rod building equipment yet, but might give up on that endeavor by this time next year if I do not feel a draw back to rod and reel fishing. I sold my only fishing rod that accepts a reel earlier this year. Like someone above already said, I think people make fishing more complicated than it needs to be.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 12, 2021 10:21AM

Eric: Not only "more complicated" but more expensive! Some people buying fishing tackle (or women's hats) like to flash the price tag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster