I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

X-Ray vs Point Blank
Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: August 03, 2021 04:10PM

I’m sure this topic has been talked about but through the search could not find what I was looking for.

I have heard great things about point blank but have never built on one. I am building a rod for a serious speckled trout guy and he is looking for a spinning rod in the 7’2” range that will be mostly used for light grubs and jerkbaits. I feel like the 7’3” ML point blank may be that perfect fit but am hesitant because I have built on the X-ray MB733 with similar specs.

While I love the MB733, it is way stiffer than what I am looking for.

If anyone has experience with the point blank 73ML I would love your thoughts. I read it has a more moderate action than other point blanks which is one reason I am attracted to it.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks guys,

-David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: X-Ray vs Point Blank
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2021 04:34PM

One of the rods I built with the Fuji PB ML blank was a baitcaster and it really accelerated the lure to where I was getting a lot of back lashes. The new baitcaster DC reels fixed that and it is one the best rods I cast now. With a spinning reel it will totally launch a lure with some real distance. I have used that blank for both types of rods. I have not tried an XRay blank yet because I am sold on the P703-1 HM LMX. I cut it down to a 6'9" and it is the best bait caster Speckled Trout rod that I have made. I have sold a lot of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2021 05:57PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: August 03, 2021 06:04PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not tried an XRay blank yet because I
> am sold on the P703-1 HM LMX. I cut it down to a
> 6'9" and it is the best bait caster Speckled Trout
> rod that I have made. I have sold a lot of them.

This really makes me want to try the P703 and P704. Do you know if the IM is essentially the same power/action as the HM?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 04, 2021 05:26AM

I see that NF is now offering, regular X-ray as well as smooth buffed blanks as well. I might just try one for throwing rapala HJ10's for walleye. X-ray Mirror Black blanks are in a satin black glass smooth finish. We achieve this finish by “buffing” the blanks retaining their action and crispness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 05:28AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 04, 2021 09:24AM

I have had a few x-rays and all the PB73's

I love the 73 ML Point Blank

it makes my favorite custom inshore spinning rod

I also have the 73M, but i like the ml better for artificial fishing and ive caught tarpon up to 30lbs on it. if you wanted a popping cork rod do the m but for just artificial do the ml

also to me the balance point on the ml is closer to the butt, so you can run a shorter handle and it feels amazing, i prefer the shorter handle for twitch and jerkbaits

i would go simple on the build

i ran an alps mvt reel seat no forward or rear grip and a minimum butt, ti torzite guides with a diawa exist, its amazing

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 04, 2021 09:44AM

Hadnt had a chance to build a Point Blank yet. But, in the NFC line up I'd use the P704 or SJ703 X-ray. The SJ is lighter physically, has roughly 10% more power, and despite being a faster overall blank the tip section is softer on the SJ

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 12:16PM

I also love the PB731MLF for inshore specks and redfish. However, it is probably more powerful than the NFC MB733 X-ray. Although I don’t have CCS data on the MB733, I do have IP and AA on the NFC MB704 IM (IP=558 gm, AA=72), and the PB731MLF (IP=599 gm, AA=73). The PB701LXF (IP= 440 gm AA=77) might be a better fit if you want something lighter in power. The NFC SJ703 X-ray (IP=343 gm, AA=73) is even lighter in power.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 05:58PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2021 08:49PM

The MB733 is around 340 grams of power. I am surprised you find it too stiff, mine is actually softer than I was expecting. I hate to ask, but NFC has been known to send the wrong blank. Are you sure you have the MB733? Or maybe I have the wrong one. Who knows with NFC.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 11:53PM

It’s a good question that I can only add to fog rather than clarity. I built on a Point Blank a few months ago, and it’s quality and sensitivity are really impressive. The company has two different data charts for my blank, the vendor a third, and the supplied label represented a fourth. That was really frustrating and frankly inexcusable. Still, the blank is very nice, regardless of whatever it actually was designed to do.

I really want to build on an NFC X-Ray, but keeping getting frightened away by reports of quality issues. Their data has some issues as well, and people report anomalies in what they get. I was just looking at some posts with pictures of X-Rays with wrinkled carbon near the butt and deep scratches at the tip. I’ve also seen posts here where quality and deliveries have been going really well in 2021. I have one picked out, but have yet to summon the courage. I just saw that Rod Builders Warehouse now sells X-Ray blanks. This could be a good way to have another party assure quality. I have unqualified respect for their service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 11:57PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: August 05, 2021 08:54AM

In my last and first four orders with NFC I've had considerable quality control issues as well as being sent wrong blanks. I ordered a MB704 which I really liked, then ordered three more, but as it turned out that first blank I received I suspect was a SJ704. So the three additional MB704's are being sent back. I ordered two MB706 HM's and one broke during a load test. I was sent a replacement promptly after sending in the warranty claim and photos, however the replacement I received and the rod I had previously ordered are different. I have no idea which one, if either, are actually MB706's. I Ordered two X-Ray MB7108, both have the visible imperfections as well as what seems like variations in diameter near the butt, almost like they are wrinkled or wavy (maybe not the best way to describe it). My very first order was two Delta Hybrid blanks, one of those blanks had bubbles in the outer finish, very noticeable, and they promptly replaced it. On my second order of nine blanks, four of the blanks had the wrong label in the packaging.

Not trying to rant or derail this thread, just building on the previous two comments as NFC has some very legitimate quality control issues. My experiences are all within the past three months. It's very unfortunate they can't seem to right the ship and get this under control. Just a few minutes of researching people's experience with NFC is enough to scare most people away from using them.

I do have two Delta series MB703 blanks. I taped some guides and a reel seat on one and went out to our pond for some casting/testing. It's surprisingly stiff, but very soft tip. I was able to throw a 1.5 size crankbait with it confidently. I purchased the blanks thinking they would make good drop shot rods or possibly trout rods on the gulf coast. I haven't settled on what to do with them yet, although I think they would work well in either application. I'm not set up to take power/action measurements, so I can't help out with that.

Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 10:44AM

I have decided to go with the X Ray SB722 - I absolutely love the X-ray SJ 703 and would have gone with that but customer asking for something a bit longer. By using the comparator tool on rodhouse it appears these blanks have almost identical action and power. Not sure who recommended the rodhouse tool but I highly suggest checking it out if you haven’t already.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 03:44PM

Joel Babin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have not tried an XRay blank yet because I
> > am sold on the P703-1 HM LMX. I cut it down to
> a
> > 6'9" and it is the best bait caster Speckled
> Trout
> > rod that I have made. I have sold a lot of
> them.
>
> This really makes me want to try the P703 and
> P704. Do you know if the IM is essentially the
> same power/action as the HM?

Not that much difference, the IM is not as "crispy" as the HM, very slight difference in recovery. Both are excellent choices for baitcasters. Concerning the topic, FJ PB ML is a better choice for a spinning rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster