I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pole/whip to rod conversion
Posted by: Rene Maurice (---)
Date: August 03, 2021 12:06PM

Has anyone ever taken a fishing whip or pole, and attached guides and a reel seat to change it to a rod? Would the result be more appropriate as a fly rod, or a surf casting rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pole/whip to rod conversion
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 03, 2021 01:49PM

Hello Rene.

I took a reed from my back yard and put seat and guides on it, then took it to my pier in the back yard and used it to catch a 2 lb. red drum.

You can make a lot of things into fishing rods or should I say fish catching tools.

The weirdest thing I used to catch a fish was a 12" long metal dowel with fishing line spooled around it, I let out the line then chucked it into a battery operated hand drill, and caught some spanish mackerel.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 03, 2021 02:37PM

i made fly rods from cabela,s telescopic pan fish poles..a ten foot pole had ten sections.. i dropped two sections to make an eight foot rod and tied guides on the ferrules, installed a seat and grip on the bottom section..it was a four weight..by shortening the tip section i could make a heavier weight rod..i still use them.also, they collapse to about 15" and fit nicely into float tube pouches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2021 02:51PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 03, 2021 08:46PM

One thing for sure; when employing such basic or possibly archaic alternatives to the present-day fishing rod/blank, all the hair-splitting simply floats out the window. Ahaaa, the simple (prehistoric) life! That said, it is refreshing to learn some are still thinking-out-of-the-box.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2021 10:31AM

I have made heavy bottom fish rods from the 8 foot white Shakespeare VHF antennas. Bullet proof and look nice if you do your job. Got one in the rod rack now to wrap up for a halibut rod.

Calcutta bamboo ain't bad if you can find a good chunk of Calcutta:

9 footer, one piece, a heavy blank that will handle 50 pound line. Found it in a garage sale and did a touch up with a NOS Varmac reel seat and cord wrapped handle. A fun rod to fish with, gets a lot of questions at the boat ramp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 10:33AM by John Ricks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster