I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Broken rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2021 07:18AM

You can easily break any blank by forcing the tip area over between thumb and forefinger. In fact, that's about the easiest and surest way to break a rod on purpose. I've also seen people do it in sporting goods stores and they don't seem to realize why the rods are breaking so easily.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2021 04:42PM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " A fellow rod builder came up to me and said
> "check this out" I look up and he flexes this
> purple/blue blank and it snaps with with very
> little effort. He proceeds to grab another one off
> the rack and does the same thing and it snaps. He
> grabs another one and bang it snaps, he grabs
> another and the store clerk who was hearing the
> sound of breaking blanks, finally comes over and
> stops him"
>
>
> OMG , that's hard to believe but not the part
> about the rod breaking I'm talking about a guy
> willing to stand their in the store and keep
> breaking them instead of quickly looking around
> hoping nobody noticed after the first one snapped.
> Some people just make you shake your head
> sometimes.
>
> I also agree with Phil 100% , there's no question
> at all that what you explain happens regularly, I
> see it all the time . You just can't get away
> with treating higher end blanks the way many treat
> off the shelf department store rods .

I was shocked and in disbelief of what I saw. I am friends with the guys at the tackle shop and before I was about to stop him the clerk did. I guess he figured they weren't worth selling: so breaking them was OK? True story.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 06:42AM

I hate building for bass fisherman. A rod to them is supposed to be an indestructible tool. They haul in some great fish like a crane. Rods laying on the deck can be easily stepped on. Heavy baits and extremely sharp hooks banging the rods and nicking them. See it all the time on TV. I built a trio of rods for a friend and in a matter of 24 hours he snapped 2 in almost the identical location of the rod. He had used them 5 days a week for 4 months and tried to blame them on the rod! He videos all his trips and showed me when they broke. I tried to explain he was at fault but he was defiant. I replaced one and we haven't spoke much since. I shifted into steelhead and fly rods. More my passion anyways and I find this group of anglers as a whole take more care and pride in their gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 09:03AM by Mark D Schulte.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 04, 2021 07:57AM

Mark, too many want to be like bill dance..they are scary to build rods for..i stay away

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2021 07:51AM

Switching to a solid glass rod will solve this problem. You will be able to fling car doors out of the river!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 05, 2021 08:22AM

Phil, there was a builder on this site that built on solid ice rods..and said it was a ball to fish with..he would cast with it..

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster