I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Refinishing stripped rods after sanding
Posted by: Philip Engle (173.208.98.---)
Date: July 29, 2021 10:37AM

Friends:

I'm about to strip down a number of rods to freshen the guides and looks. The issue is preparation of the blank prior to rewrapping new guides.

In the past I have had mixed success in recoating the blank. The finished results have been lumpy or if smooth have scratched or chipped away quickly with only slight knocks and scrapes.

The rods in question are Calstar Graphiters with a shiny finish. Most have flex coat on the wraps, and a couple have pro kote.

Once I get down to a sanded blank, what's the current practice for best finish and material to apply?

Thanks in advance!

Philip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Refinishing stripped rods after sanding
Posted by: Shawn Gill (---.plastipak.com)
Date: July 29, 2021 01:16PM

I only use U40 Perma Gloss when I coat/recoat a bare unpainted blank. If you chose this route, make sure your in a well ventilated area.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 29, 2021 03:24PM

Phillip,
U40 Perma Gloss, as Shawn suggested, is pretty much the industry standard. Apply to the sanded blank with a very fine, open cell foam pad; cosmetic pads work very well. Some builders use coffee filters which may be a good idea also, although I have not tried them.
While PG may be widely used, it is not as bullet-proof as many suggest; it will chip. Nonetheless, PG is what I use.
If money is of no concern, I think the best would be to employ an auto body shop to spray a 2-part, catalyzed automotive clear with the additional flex additive they use on today’s cars' soft bumpers. But you would also have to supply a fixture to hold the blank. It is no wonder why PG is so popular.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 30, 2021 08:57AM

Do rod finishes provide any physical (versus visual) benefit to a rod blank?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 30, 2021 11:06AM

Phillip,
For all of the rods that I have stripped and rebuilt, I have never applied any finish at all over the sanded blank.
Once the finish has been stripped of all thread wrap, paint and primer so that one is down to the bare material, I continue sanding with finer and finer grades of sand paper down to 1200 grit paper.
Then, I do a final rub down with a good non coated polishing cloth for a nice soft sheen and start the rebuild.

With no finish on the rod blank above the actual materials used in the construction of the blank, there is no finish to nick or scratch.

Over the years there have been literally thousands of rods sold as production rods - with 0 finish on the bare blank.

One very notable example of this type of rod are the wonderful IMX line of rod blanks by G Loomis. Nary a particle of finish applied to these fine rod blanks.

Your rods, your choice.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2021 12:56AM

CPXTRA

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster