I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warped rods
Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-255-2.myvzw.com)
Date: July 28, 2021 10:14PM

So here is my dilemma... a client brought me a five gallon bucket (his apparent method of storage) containing several ice rods that have been stored in the attic of his garage. Many of the rods had lures attached to keepers, and under a great deal of tension. I'm sure most of you can guess what I have now. I have 5 or 6 solid carbon and 1 glass rod with permanent curves in them. Or is it permanent? Is there a good way to straighten them? Or do I give a package deal on replacing all of them? I appreciate all of your input.
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warped rods
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 29, 2021 12:04AM

Scott,
Composite fishing rods / blanks are FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastics). Due to the “plastic” part of the equation, they can and will “take a set”, especially given the parameters on which your Bucket-of-Rods were subjected. I suppose the “warping” could be reversed, but it may take an equal amount of time that they lived in the bucket and also close monitoring to not go too far the other way. Is it worth the effort? May I suggest your client learn from the experience and purchase new, straight rods from you. Contact Rich Forhan; he deals with “magic wands”!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 29, 2021 09:43AM

Scott,
There is a way, but it comes with a risk.
If the client has written the rods off already, perhaps he is willing to take the risk.

1. Start by suggesting to the client that he never ever store his ice rods like he has done with these rods ever again.
2. As far as the method. - "Heat will accelerate the method, but it comes at the risk of walking too close to the fire - so to speak and lose the rod entirely.
3. Remove everything from the rods, i.e. reels, line, lures and hooks. Suggest to the client that any time that the person is not fishing that the rods be stored in this condition. Then, further suggest that when being stored - all of the rods should be stored in a flat horizontal position. But, if the fishing season is still in force, simply suggest to the client that when not being used, that the lures be removed from the lines and that when not being used that the rods simply be laid horizontal and then stored horizontally - with the rods interlaced from butt to tip and tip to butt. That way, a lot of rods can be stored in a very compact space - even with the reels still attached with no fear of blank curvature

But, to continue -
I would suggest that you begin with the least expensive rod in the bunch to verify your technique - to potentially avoid damage to the more expensive rods.

--------------------------------------------------------
This is the method to try - but do it carefully and avoid excess heat -- just a few seconds of excessive heat and the rod will be destroyed:

------------------------------------------------------
""A bend which remains in a rod for a lengthy period of time can result in a "permanent" bend due to memory.

Here's a trick which sometimes works to restore the original memory in any fiberglass or composite product.

Hang the rod by the tip. Attach a weight to the butt end, maybe 3 - 5 pounds. Using a hair dryer, or a heat gun (be careful with a heat gun, it can cause damage used in one place or is held too close to the rod) apply heat to the bent section.

You should see the bend "relax" into a straight alignment.

Stop applying the heat, and let the rod remain hanging for a couple of days. If you're lucky, the "memory" in the rod will be "reset" to a straight line.

A hair dryer might not work. If you use a heat gun, keep it at least 6 - 8 inches away, and keep it moving. Be sure to apply heat to the entire bend.

The rod should never feel more than warm to the touch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
In this case - it sounds like the rod bends are such that the person is not likely to use them in their current state - so it may be the risk. But, just be aware that a very short time with too much heat - and the rods will be ruined forever.
Also be aware, that this method is more likely to be successful for glass rods as opposed to graphite rods.

Good luck and best wishes.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2021 06:31PM

With all due respect, does it matter if they're curved a bit?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 29, 2021 07:22PM

What he said...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 09:35PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 29, 2021 10:13PM

Run a line through the tip-tops and hang em like a stringer of fish back up in the attic. They'll be ready to go by the time the lake is frozen.
If you can put a set in by tension, you can take a set out of em by tension.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 10:17PM by Dennis Danku.

Date: July 30, 2021 11:45AM

Dennis,
Just be a touch careful.
I was reading a post in another forum where a fellow took a temperature reading near the peak of his home - above the home insulation and with the temp hovering about 100F - in the shade, his peak roof temperature was 182 degrees F.

Maybe it is all right to hang a rod in a temp of 180 degrees - maybe not.

So, if you do hang the rods somewhere in the summer sun, perhaps in an uninsulated space, be aware of the potential temperature of the space where you hang the rods.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2021 06:56PM

Roger, I understand what your saying about the high temps, all I'm saying is that you can hang those rod anywhere and they would return to normal.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 01, 2021 08:12PM

Most “low temp” structural epoxies, assumably including those used by blank manufacturers, respond well to post cures of 150*F. While 180* may be pushing the limit, my gut-feeling is that it would be OK but would be hesitant to go much higher.
Most structures which have been bent, naturally want to return back to zero. However, in this case, I would think the blank would have to be bent slightly in the opposite direction and then left to relax back to zero.
While Scott (or his client) doesn’t really have anything to lose at this point, again I ask, is it worth the effort? May I suggest building him replacement rods while the others hang in the attic!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 02, 2021 11:13AM

Mark,
If these are high end Ice fishing rods that cost him over $100, it is worth it.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster