I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Understanding NFC Rod Charts (and others) - Help Needed
Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.32.---)
Date: July 28, 2021 09:10AM

So I have been looking at the individual blanks on North Fork's website and was wondering what some of the data means.

For example:

1) Why do they use different weight sizes to load the rods in their charts? It seams if they used a standard weight, say 20 ozs, it would make it easier to see/compare how the rod bends differ, with the same size load applied.

2) What does the "881 @ 20oz on the SJ 736 X-Ray" versus the "890 @ 20oz on the MB 736 X-Ray" Mean?

Just trying to get my head around the charts for selecting new rods.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Understanding NFC Rod Charts (and others) - Help Needed
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 28, 2021 09:52AM

Leonard: Except for fly rods there is a tradition among rod-makers and rod advertisers which replaces numbered measurements of rod performance with terms such as "fast" or "extra-fast" or "medium" or "smooth" or "powerful" or even "soulful"! These meaningless terms promote buyer's remorse but sell a whole lot of rods. Probably the best you can do is ask friends if you could test-cast their rods.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 09:56AM

The numbers 881 and 890 are the stock numbers (SKU) for the SJ736 X-ray and MB736 X-ray, respectively. The chart basically shows that the SJ has a little faster action than the MB, and maybe a little more powerful. The reason for varying the weights used is that they cannot use the same amount of weight for comparing all blanks since it would be too light for some blanks, barely causing them to bend, and too heavy for others, causing them to bend in half. So the weights used are based on the power of the blanks being tested. They use a weight that puts a nice bend in he blank so you can see it bend profile. I personally don’t think these bend profile charts help that much except for giving some very general visual information on action and power. NFC at one time published the CCS numbers on their blanks, but they no longer do this.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (50.220.227.---)
Date: July 28, 2021 11:31AM

Rod house France offers a tool to compare different blanks. Works well if you want to compare a known blank to something else.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 01:03PM

Many fishers blame their casting deficiencies on their equipment rather than their casting ability. Those who sell fishing tackle heartily endorse this delusion, and promise better equipment will make them better casters - sorta like better (more expensive) golf clubs will lower your score.

Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.32.---)
Date: July 28, 2021 01:32PM

I agree that poor casting is usually due to operator era the vast majority of the time. However, I would not want to Drop Shot a Finesse Worm on an 8' Flippin Stick.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 04:32PM

Thrasher and others do the same thing, look hard enough and you'll see flex board pictures from all of them, they just don't all put them on their sites for us to see, it's a tool they all use. They pick up kids, buckets, weightlifting weights, all manner of things also.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 07:01PM

Leonard, IMHO some of the listings on the Xray blanks are wrong. I think they have some numbers associated with the wrong blanks. In general, I'd say the blanks are a little weaker than you'd expect compared to other companies. The SJ series is stronger than the MB series. Also seems in the past people who ordered the same thing didn't always get the same thing so that makes it hard to compare. They definitely seem to be getting their act together these days though. I find it helps to look through other sections for the same blank and see if it is consistent in how it is rated. If you look enough you will find what you need. Like they list the SJ 703 as stronger than the SJ 732, But the SJ 732 has a bigger tip and butt. I would suspect the SJ 736 is a stronger blank than the SJ 725 but I don't have the SJ 725 to compare so I could be wrong.

The RodHouse compare app is quite good. Highly recommend you use it.

P.S. Don't be afraid to try their Hm and IM blanks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 11:54PM

Russell 725 is more powerful than 736!

Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2021 05:30AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leonard, IMHO some of the listings on the Xray
> blanks are wrong. I think they have some numbers
> associated with the wrong blanks. In general, I'd
> say the blanks are a little weaker than you'd
> expect compared to other companies. The SJ series
> is stronger than the MB series. Also seems in the
> past people who ordered the same thing didn't
> always get the same thing so that makes it hard to
> compare. They definitely seem to be getting their
> act together these days though. I find it helps
> to look through other sections for the same blank
> and see if it is consistent in how it is rated.
> If you look enough you will find what you need.
> Like they list the SJ 703 as stronger than the SJ
> 732, But the SJ 732 has a bigger tip and butt. I
> would suspect the SJ 736 is a stronger blank than
> the SJ 725 but I don't have the SJ 725 to compare
> so I could be wrong.
>
> The RodHouse compare app is quite good. Highly
> recommend you use it.
>
> P.S. Don't be afraid to try their Hm and IM
> blanks.

I checked out the Compare Tool. That was pretty good. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster