I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I save my cork sealer?
Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 27, 2021 01:47PM

Just went to seal some handles and noticed the lid was apparently not put on tightly and the liquid has almost disappeared. The part that’s left in the jar is thick but not hardened. I can’t find anything on the jar (U40) that says what the base solution is? If I can’t save it, lesson learned I guess but if anyone knows what I can use to thin it back to formula, I’d appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I save my cork sealer?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 27, 2021 01:53PM

Probably not going to be good any more, but what do you have to lose by trying?

but you can always wait until you get some new and use it then. If the cork is soiled, clean it up then apply. Or lightly sand and apply.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: July 27, 2021 04:28PM

Chuck
I have never been able to "save" it.
I always place a sheet of plastic wrap over the open jar before I screw on cover.
Store upside down.
Scrub soiled grip with dish soap and a Scotch Brite type pad.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 27, 2021 06:10PM

Chuck,
I am certainly not an expert on the subject so take that into consideration. However, I am a cheap bastard and hate to throw away anything. Since U40 Cork Seal cleans-up with water, I would assume it is a water-based product. I would try adding water (possibly even distilled water) to see if the semi-dried remaining product thins-out and comes back to life. If the reconstituted mixture is lump, particle-free, it MAY be good to go. Obviously, testing on a scrap piece of cork would be advised. Of course, the safest bet is to purchase new product. Tighten the un-cross-threaded cap next time lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 27, 2021 06:38PM

I would and have diluted it with (as Mark said) distilled water. If it's not too far gone it may be useable. It's pretty thin when fresh. Either way it won't hurt the cork to try it. If it looks too gummy during application wipe/rinse it off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 09:57AM

Chuck,
You have worked long and hard - I expect - on prepping and building the rod on which you are working.

Keep your life simple. Either forget about using cork sealer, or throw away your current dried up bottle and purchase a new one. It will take just a few days and a few $$ to receive the new one and don't look back.

In my opinion you are buying penny wise and dollar foolish.

But, your build, your rod.

When building, keep product fresh and don't rue any other decision you might make.

Best wishes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 10:05AM

[getbitoutdoors.com]

plus $4 shipping and you will be good to go.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2021 06:38PM

I get my U-40 products from Utmost Enterprises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster