I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Sensitivity vs. resonant frequency of a blank/rod?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 30, 2021 01:23PM

Michael, how would you you go about to easily measure rod frequency? I’m sure you have some ideas that are both easy and reliable, which may work. I find the CCF measurements quite cumbersome to perform, and I hate the idea of loading the tip of a rod with a weight equivalent to the rods IP and setting it in motion. For many of the rods I deal with you need a pound to two pounds of weight. I don’t perform CCF measurements, just seems too arbitrary and artificial to me.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 30, 2021 01:40PM

Norman, I'm working on it.

I agree that CCF is so cumbersome as to be useless. AND I doubt if it has the ability to sort modest changes to the rod.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 30, 2021 02:26PM

I am not in agreement that the rod that oscillates the longest/most amplitude/highest frequency equates to the most sensitive one.

To me, the deflected rod that returned to its natural state in the shortest time and with the least amount of oscillation would be the most sensitive.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 30, 2021 02:42PM

I believe you would find the one that returns the fastest would have the highest amplitude. Only tests could verify my theory though.

Date: July 30, 2021 02:42PM

Might be , Russell. But would that mean that to increase sensitivity we would add "damping" material to the mix? Then it wouldn't "ring" like some have reported their favorite rods do? I can testify that Point Blanks sound different when I bump them onto the rail of my boat. How fast do they damp compared to lesser blanks? I don't know. The faster a rod damped the higher the sensitivity? The higher the ability to detect a subtle bite?

From my causal observations and conclusions I think my rods that dampen the fastest are rods with the lightest guides and fastest actions (per CCS AA). But I have no data.

I can tell you without a doubt that the rods I like the best for finesse fishing have the highest frequencies. How fast do they damp? I don't know.

Please keep in mind that my question was only about frequency, and not about amplitude or longest resonant deflection or anything else. Just frequency.

I appreciate yours and others' comments. This has been interesting and informative.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 30, 2021 02:51PM

Micheal, I agree that the CCF analysis would not detect small frequency changes due to added component weight. I also agree with Russ that recovery rate is important. As I see it the, the lightest and stiffest material would have the fastest recovery time and also the highest frequency. I think they are directly related to each other.
Norm

Date: July 30, 2021 07:05PM

Norman, Russ argued for more damping along with fast recovery. Perfect world? Maybe you cannot get the fastest recovery rate with high damping?

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster