I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal fly rod
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2021 12:29PM

So my neighbors brother is in town and he brings a broken fly rod over. 4 piece that had lost the tip, walking over he's twitching the section and it breaks. Well as I'm looking I say this must be where it fits into ferrule. He says no that's the tip, so why is there metal on it, I say, turns out the entire rod is metal, no threads anywhere. The guides must be epoxied on. any body know what this thing is? Thanking all in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal fly rod
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 24, 2021 02:24PM

This might be a leash for a model airplane.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 24, 2021 02:56PM

Jeffrey,
In past years a lot of rods were made of metal.
Fly, spinning and casting rods.

Best wishes

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 24, 2021 06:35PM

i had a metal cast rod way back, i can,t imagine casting a metal fly rod..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2021 09:27PM

Let's see a photo!

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2021 12:08PM

UPDATE: David was kind enough to bring entire rod over yesterday. It's a Shakespeare 8ft. casting rod with very old recessed reel seat. Rod is limber enough for a fly, not sure about reel seat adapting to fly reel. Kent is trying yo walk me through the posting of pictures, I'm IT challenged!!!

Now hear this, I just received two CTS rods from Herb. I like to support all sponsors. Can't say anything about blanks yet, but I want to scream about the shipping box they arrived in!!! Flat rectangular with 2 furring strips. 2 completed spinning rods would fit. I sent e-mail inquiring how to acquire these marvelous boxes.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 26, 2021 12:25PM

Jeff, you gotta host your images online with a website that allows 3rd party hosting.

Next, once your images are stored online, simply copy and paste the image address URL link in between the common forum coding of: and it is that simple.

Sometimes being an old dinosaur doesn't pay off! Ha!

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: July 27, 2021 11:24AM

metal = heavy. And bends or deforms. Some rod makers dabbled with it. Superseded by fiberglass and graphite.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2021 12:28PM

And spun aluminum, which I grew up fishing with. It's a forgotten rod making material and was actually very good during that time period.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 10:53AM

I always thought square steel rods were superior to the first fiberglass rods, which were solid fiberglass. Solid glass rods were a big hit with the stick-your-rod-out-the-window and the lay-your-rod-on-the-tailgate anglers.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2021 11:09AM

And the guides were welded on not epoxied !!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 02, 2021 01:26PM

I taught myself how to wind new guides on the blank of a Tru-Temper square steel casting rod. It didn't help the collector's value for the rod but it did teach and catch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster