I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendations for lead bass jigs fished 15-25’
Posted by: Mike Sanchez (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 03:05PM

Looking for recommendations on which blanks you experienced builders would recommend for a 7’ 3”ish Fast or ModFast in a 3 and 4 (GLoom equivalent powers.) Going to build two rods either a 3 and 4 power or perhaps a 2 and 4 power. Sensitivity being my main objective….no issues feeling bites with FC and tungsten on current rods but a different story feeling subtle lead jigs bites deep…..typically on 3/8 to 1/2 oz with no trailer and on rare occasion a 3/4. Also curious if anyone has used the NFC handles….likes and dislikes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations for lead bass jigs fished 15-25’
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 23, 2021 03:18PM

I have used NFC carbon soft touch and love them. They feel great. Very light and easy to work with as well. They have built in arbors that are easy to ream. Just ream carefully. It is easy to over ream.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 03:22PM

For 3/8 I’d use the 731 mxf Point Blank it will handle the half ounce as well but the 1/2 & 3/4 sit better in the wheelhouse of the 731 mh.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 23, 2021 08:10PM

NFC MB 736 X Ray. I have two rods built on that blank. Their primary use is for smallmouth bass. One rod I use for dragging 3/16 - 3/8 oz tube jigs. I've used it in up to 30' of water when up on Lake Erie. I have 12# Tatsu fluorocarbon line on it. The other I use for 3/8 - 1/2 oz football jigs + trailer. I've fished those in up to 30' of water as well. I have15# Tatsu on that rod.

The blank is unsanded so it has a rough texture. I wasn't a fan of the texture so I lightly sanded the entire blank so that it was smooth. I used 320 and 400 grit sand paper to do the sanding. Awesome awesome blank though.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2021 08:55PM

I really like the American Tackle Bushido blanks. With a jig that small I might even go with a drop shot or spin jig series. The drop shot is xfast but that would help at depths. The spin/jig is available in a 7'2" blank. Shorter rod might work better with deeper baits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster