I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What clear coat to use on a newly painted and wrapped fishing rod
Posted by: Robert L Jackson (---)
Date: July 22, 2021 08:30PM

I have a graphite rod that I sanded and painted lightly with a paint and primer mixed spray paint with a multicolored fade and have wrapped the butt end and have not done anything else to. This is my very first rod and I don't know what kind of clear coats, color protectants or anything to use. I would be VERY APPRECIATIVE of some experienced help!! I used poly thread and I believe the spray paint was acrylic. This is my first time chatting on any kind of forum so please excuse any errors on my behalf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What clear coat to use on a newly painted and wrapped fishing rod
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 22, 2021 09:38PM

Robert, I am uncertain exactly what you mean by “...and have wrapped the butt end and have not done anything else to.” I can only assume you mean that you have painted the blank and installed a thread butt-wrap ahead of the fore-grip but not installed any guides / thread wraps. At this point, the safest bet is to not clear-coat the remaining exposed blank which might lift / react to your sprayed color fade. Prema Gloss is a great, fairly durable clear coat but is also rather “hot” and may react to the underlying paint = I would certainly recommend testing on a sample piece to learn if PG is compatible with your spray paint. Otherwise, select your reduction and running guides, perform a two-line static load test for their ultimate placement, wrap them and be done with it without clear-coating the remainder of the blank.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: July 22, 2021 10:35PM

I use a 2-part 2K clear from a rattle can - it’s a. It pricy at $20ish a can and the shelf life once activated is less than 48 hours so best to have a few rods to do. However this is done over cured paint before any thread work is done.

You could perhaps mask off the wrapped butt area and spray - and the apply rod epoxy finish over the wrapped area and overlap onto the 2k clear coverage

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: July 22, 2021 11:03PM

If it was me I wouldn't paint it at all , I would build it after I sanded it . Lots of people like plain graphite with no coatings applied for a multitude of reasons including myself . If you want a specific color many people like to use high gloss automotive paints while others prefer a matte look , both are available in spray paint form . As mentioned previously Perma Gloss is one of the most popular and it works fantastic , extremely durable and tough but it's not a paint it's just a clear coating .

Some great info below:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I see I misread your post , you just want a clear coat so again I would recommend Permagloss but not sure what it might do to the paint you just applied so as Mark said test first .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 11:07PM by chris c nash.

Date: July 22, 2021 11:26PM

I left the upperside of the rod unwrapped so I would have more options for clear coat. I would really like to put a good protective clear coat on it since my painted fade is sprayed on rather thin. After that I figured I could move on to the guides and so on... I don't want to lose much of the action of the rod but I was kinda hoping maybe I could do the lower side of the rod alittle different as far as the clear coating went since it would have less effect on the action and is just one color as the top is 3 colors... Again this is my first rod so my thoughts and ideas for the rod could I'm sure have been planned better... I do appreciate all advice!!! If there is a way for me to post a picture of the rod I might try and do that after work tomorrow if it may help-

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 02:03AM

Robert,
Actually, I might think that if you wanted to put a clear coat over a paint coat that you had already applied that the use of an automotive clear coat might be the way to go.

One uses Perma Gloss on a bare graphite rod for a coating.

But, as has been posted - the Perma Gloss is HOT. i.e. there are some very powerful chemicals in Perma Gloss that may react with - or actually remove paint from a surface - depending n the paint.

If one want to try perma gloss, take your paint and paint another rod, and after it has dried, use Perma gloss and see how it turns out.

Otherwise a sprayed on coat of automotive paint clear coat could be the way to go.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 11:14AM

I suspect a coat of paint or varnish or whatever on a graphite rod shaft is strictly for looks, not utility. A clear coat on the thread wraps does protect them from abrasion.

Date: July 23, 2021 04:29PM

I haven't decided yet about the top of the rod, just leaving work.
What would be an easy to use thread protectant and epoxy for me to use? Any I may be able to go to a local store and buy?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 04:57PM

[www.google.com]

Flex Coat
Pro Wrap
Gen 4
etc. etc. etc.

Essentially you are looking for a very slow drying epoxy that is quite thin when first applied so it runs out and insures a nice perfect finish.
Note:
When the finish is drying for the first hour or so, the rod MUST be turning at all times.
If the rod is not turning, all of the finish will run to the bottom of the rod on the horizontal rod and the top side of the rod will be bereft of finish.

Best wishes.

You can look in the rod building library on this web site for many more guides.
You can also look on You Tube and look at one of the hundreds of videos on rod building and thread finish application and drying.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2021 06:30PM

What are you planning to use to protect the clear coat?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 07:22PM

Come on, Tom; be nice.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 23, 2021 08:06PM

It's a point to the circle that many newcomers fall into. It's not necessary.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 23, 2021 08:17PM

it,s not just newcomers..sometimes the pros too..it doesn,t look like a fishing rod anymore when their done.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: July 24, 2021 01:15PM

I don't reply much. But I do have to say this, I am assuming when Michael mentioned 2pt 2K clear, he meant Max 2K clear. I use this to restore Mitchell reels, but don't think I'd use it on a rod. I has very little flexibility. Just my thought. It's used by many on cars.

Date: July 24, 2021 01:50PM

The manufacturer will also color it to your specs, although there is an additional charge for that. Unless you're doing a lot of rods in the same color, it may not be cost effective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster