I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy fingerprints on Hypalon
Posted by: Daniel Nichols (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2021 06:14PM

Update (7/23):
I ended up going with the X-Wrap and it worked perfect.
If, in the future, I want to redo the grips...I'll still have that option.

Thanks to all that replied.

-Dan-

=======================================================================

The last time I was building (several years ago), I had attached the real-seat and Hypalon grips on a couple of 670 class blanks, and then then put them away for later.
As I was prepping them to wrap the guides, I noticed that I hadn't been very careful way back then...and I have a few areas on the grips where there are fingerprint blob/stains of epoxy.

I tried sanding the grips to see if I can remove the stains. I don't have a power wrapper, so I rigged up a cordless drill as a kind of lathe for faster sanding.
No luck so far, and I'm concerned that...given the jury-rigged nature of my attempts...I'm likely to damage something.

I'm wondering if the X-Wrap shrink wrap might be a solution?
I've never used it before and I'm wondering if others have used it on top of Hypalon.
Is it "permanent" or does it wear and need periodic replacing?

I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks,

-Dan-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 05:38PM by Daniel Nichols.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy fingerprints on Hypalon
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: July 21, 2021 11:01PM

I have extensive experience with shrink wrap handles and you can definitely use it on top of Hypalon but it won't feel the same as just having Hypalon . Many people use shrink on top of existing grips of all kinds but I never liked doing that I use shrink directly over the butt with nothing underneath except maybe parachute cord or similar to produce a very pronounced X grip . I have used Mudholes plain shrink in various colors which you can see in the first link below, I never liked the X pattern or scale design shrink material shown in the latter two links.

When heating keep the heat moving constantly up and down the grip until you get uniform shrinkage all around . Immediately after heating I run the heated handle through flowing cool water as this will quickly solidify the shrink to the blank or previous handle material .

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: July 21, 2021 11:06PM

Forgot to answer your last question , in my experience regular shrink is very tough and durable and shouldn't need replacing for many years if at all . Winn Grips has overwraps which are clearly grippier than regular shrink but those aren't nearly as durable when subjected to hard usage but if you want grippy that's the way to go .

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 21, 2021 11:26PM

Daniel,
As chris mentioned, X-wrap shrink tubing can certainly be applied over Hypalon. The majority of my saltwater builds use X-shrink over cork tape and it could certainly be applied directly over a blank or anything else for that matter. You may find the combination even better than the hypalon alone to firm-up the grip; many consider hypalon and/or EVA too soft to begin with. As far as durability goes, the only thing better is a slick-butt (nylon tubing).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: July 22, 2021 12:19AM

I guess I'll jump in with the stupid question. Why don't the prints come off with sanding? If you have your make shift lathe ( a neat idea and works well) and use a good grit paper, or better yet, sanding screens, those prints should just go away. Hypalon us tough....sand it like you mean it, you can't hurt it. Shrink is ok, but you'll have the raw ends ro deal with. I'd say sand it clean.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 22, 2021 10:00AM

Couple of if's. If the epoxy is on the butt grip and if you have some Hypalon left over, it would not take much effort to replace the butt grip.

Shrink wrap will work and IMO is more durable than Hypalon.

Good luck

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 22, 2021 11:15PM

If you like the feel of hypalon, I would do as John suggested and just cut off and replace the butt grip. Shrink wrapping is okay; it's very durable and realistically you probably won't ever have to replace it, but it does feel different and will add some weight. I've used it a few times, but in all honesty I'd re-grip it given the choice. I think the shrink wrap is more slippery than hypalon. You may think I'm crazy, but I've been wrapping the shrink wrapped grips I have with hockey stick tape prior to use. Gives you a good grip, is easy on the hands, and doesn't get slippery. After a trip I just peel it off; but if you leave it on for an extended period some of the adhesive will remain on the grip which is messy.
I've been using the high density Hypalon from Mudhole and it's really light and tough. Putting it on the rail while fighting large fish doesn't seem to faze it at all. Tom Kirkman might disagree with me, but I've had to do some minor reaming of the high density hypalon because it doesn't stretch nearly as much as the regular stuff.

Dave

Posted by: Richard Popola (---)
Date: July 23, 2021 09:28AM

Daniel - just take some 80 grit sandpaper and hand sand the affected areas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster