I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ST 905-2 north fork blank
Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.50.---)
Date: July 20, 2021 05:50PM

I'm building a spinning rod for 17# mono using the NGC system for spacing. I'm a little confused. when I use the online Anglers resource guide placement soft ware it says the 3rd guide should be a 7H. Is it ok to use 5.5 for the choker and runners? Do you think they are too small or should I go with the #10 choker and running guides?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ST 905-2 north fork blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 20, 2021 09:57PM

You should never go bigger on you choke and running guides then what your transition guides are. I use 7 mm runners on rods with that size mono, but on the ones I build that is usually the minimum size line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 10:25PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Dale Foster (---)
Date: July 21, 2021 12:36PM

I have built st 902-2 for steelhead, I use 5.5 works great.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 21, 2021 02:19PM

There can be a considerable line stiffness between 10 lb line and 17 lb and no mention was made about how his terminal connections would be made, so there could be a knot involved. I also went in my mind to the SA 905, which is by far the most popular salmon rod I build, and a 10 - 30 lb line rod, the reason I mentioned 17 lb line as my lightest line selection. You can probably go 5.5, but from a repair and knot point of view, you probably won't notice the difference in balance, a knot will pass a bit better, and a 6mm guide will be a bunch easier to find if you need one for a repair.
Winter steelhead and now stiffer line in cold weather, I'd go with a 7 mm runner again. Factory rods also have 7mm runners in this line class for that reason.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 21, 2021 02:28PM

I have never been able to understand the NGC GPS, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. In contrast, the KR GPS is quite understandable, and for the most part gives good data. For the rod you are building you could use either concept. However, since you will be using 17# mono, you might be better off with the NGC. If you are using a 4000 size spinning reel, then the ‘traditional’ reduction train would consist of a size 30Y stripper followed by a 16Y, 10Y, and a 8Y low (or 8V). After the reduction train you ‘traditionally’ use either size,7L or 6L guides as the running guides. This is a traditional layout and there is no reason why you couldn’t used size 5.5 guides as runners. The stripper will be placed somewhere between 21 and 23” in front of of the spool and the choke guide about 32 to 36” in front of the stripper. For a KR concept, you could use a reduction train consisting of KL25H, KL12H, KL6L, and then use 5.5 KB/KT runners. The stripper will be about 21 to 22” in front of the spool and the choke about 25 to 29” in front of the stripper. These distances are variable and can be moved in or out depending on the line flow angles and static testing.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster