I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Omni Arbor
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2021 09:57AM

I've known about these for some time now, but have never used them. I had a friend give me a few and they look intriguing. Has anyone used these and what were your observations? The manufacturer isn't listed as a sponsor, but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omni Arbor
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2021 12:08PM

They work fine and due to their self adjusting design make reaming or fitting arbors a non-requirement. Use a gel-type epoxy with them, however.

Date: July 20, 2021 05:55PM

Tom,

I found a manufacturer's video on YouTube. They were using a liquid epoxy and standing the rod vertically to supposedly allow the glue to migrate to fill the arbors during the drying process. I've got both types of epoxy but the gel isn't going to flow like they are recommending. Would you still use the gel? Thanks!

Dave

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 20, 2021 06:58PM

I also believe liquid epoxy with a long set time is required. No 5 min. stuff.

Date: July 20, 2021 07:13PM

The gel can be packed into the voids in the arbor - it won't run out. Stays where you put it.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2021 05:13AM

I have used them. Work fairly well. Had some issues with them not centering when you get to the upper end of their recommended blank size. Used them with both a gel epoxy and liquid either way worked fine. I preferred the liquid. With liquid you can handle everything dry.

Slide the first arbor in place on the blank. I found it easier to drop the reel seat onto the arbor with a bit of epoxy on the outside of the arbor as a lube. Just a drop wiped around the outside was enough. Drop the reelseat on pour as much epoxy as you want down the seat. Rotate the rod a few times to get epoxy flowing down the whole interior perimeter of the seat. Slide your next arbor inside the seat. I usually put the forward arbor about 1/2" from the end of the seat. Pour in epoxy again rotate the rod a few times to get a even fill. I never tried to completely fill the seat with epoxy. Intentionally left a void for the next step.

I like to do things in steps I have the time not building for sale. So I would glue the seat first. Then do the fore grip. For that I used a nice thick paste type epoxy to prevent it from flowing. I would coat the blank well but not go crazy. Very light layer of epoxy of the edge of the reelseat.Slide the grip on turning as I went. Once I got to the seat any excess epoxy gets pushed into the void in front of the arbor. Typically I have absolutely no cleanup needed.

I have gone back to using foam arbors. They don't take much to ream out. I also feel better with the larger glue surface. I can also always get them.When I first started using the omni arbor and has deciding how much I liked or did'nt like them I could not get them consistently.

Don't think the omni arbor does anything better just goes about it different.

Date: July 21, 2021 08:27AM

Thanks for all the information, guys. I'll give them a try this afternoon and we'll see how it goes.

Dave

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 21, 2021 05:32PM

Here's the video, you make the call on the adhesive. [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 21, 2021 08:25PM

Thanks, Lynn. That's the video I was referring to when I replied to Tom. The only epoxies I use are Rod Bond and lately, ProGlu.

Date: July 21, 2021 09:38PM

You can use the Rod Bond and simply turn the arbors around so they capture the epoxy on the way down. From there it won't run out of the arbor. It stays where you put it.

Date: July 21, 2021 10:41PM

Tom,

Sounds like a good plan.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster