I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

  • Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

  • Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

    Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2022 ICRBE
EXPO ON FACEBOOK
CCS Database
Int. Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BatsonRainshadowALPS
BRC Rods
Banana River Rods
Cork Specialties LLC
CRB
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
CTS New Zealand
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
HFF Custom Rods
Janns Netcraft
Lucas Mfg Co.
Mickel's Custom Rods
My Rod Shop
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
ProProducts
REC Components
ReelSeatBlanks.com
Renzetti Inc.
Rod Builders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
RodMaker Blog
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Struble Mfg.
Tackleworks
The Rod Room
Trondak U-40
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods
ZipCast

Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: July 24, 2021 05:33PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a serious mistake to assume everyone else
> uses the same fishing reels, rods and techniques
> that you do: casting reel rods, closed face
> spinning reel rods. snatching rods, open-face
> spinning reel rods, trolling rods, down rigger
> rods, drop-shot rods, kite rods, worming rods,
> ice-fishing jig rods, casting rods, dry fly rods -
> you name it. One size/build does not fit all.
> Before proclaiming how someone's rod should be
> built it is necessary to determine exactly how
> this rod will be used and what features are
> desirable in the completed rod.


While many do make the mistake of not revealing rod specs and planned usage this particular thread it was clear that it's about flipping rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 24, 2021 06:31PM

I love this place too Lynn ..... I've never been asked to write a book. I'm actually shocked by the suggestion. I figured everyone would be tired of reading my long winded posts on this site, and they surely wouldn't want to read any more of my ramblings in book form.

I'm open to title suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards something to do with beating your head against a brick wall ..... or maybe a play on some song lyrics? Will Smith, back in his Fresh Prince days did a song with DJ Jazzy Jeff titled "Parents just don't understand." Of course I'd change a word or two. Wouldn't want to be accused of plagiarism. .

Oh and as far as my naming Mr Forhan numerous times in my one earlier post. I meant no disrespect towards Mr Forhan. It's just that a lot of times I end up talking to myself, because ......... well .....just because. :o)


Oh, and I fished a small tournament today. It's was a benefit tournament for a fellow angler that was diagnosed with cancer a month or so ago. I won big bass with a 3 lb 9 oz largemouth. I would love to say that I caught it flipping with one of my counterbalanced tip light flipping rods, but I caught it walking a frog parallel to cat tails. Only caught 4 fish today, Just couldn't get that 5th one to finish out my limit. Would have been interesting if I had though. Might have been collecting more than just big bass money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.82.---)
Date: July 24, 2021 07:18PM

Good on you David , well done and I appreciate your honesty , I can tell just by your writings that you're a guy with integrity with a true passion for fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 24, 2021 09:22PM

My Fenwick S glass Flippin' Stik has a 10 inch grip. My GLoomis L904 custom I built many moons ago has a 9 inch grip, because my raingear got caught a few times in some positions I had to fish in the rainy, windy and cooler Pac. NW, don't own an 8 ft rod so they have all been that same length ever since. Most seen to like their grips 1 1/2 to 2 inches short of their elbow. My 9 inch grip feels a bit heavy tipped, but it gets the fish in the boat and frankly I think such a short line presentation doesn't present sensitivity problems be it feel, or visually.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 24, 2021 10:25PM

i still have two of the fenwick flip rods some where..i didn,t know they were s-glass or maybe i just forgot..lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: July 25, 2021 02:49AM

I never expected this to go five pages. WOW!

Anyway, I finished the rod and got it in the hands of a very happy young man. Threw in a hand skirted flippin jig with a live rubber skirt to go with it. He requested some pro wrap metallic braid for trim. I have learned to hate working with that stuff. It is too wide. Managed to get the desired look he wanted though.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 25, 2021 06:29AM

Aaron, looks good. I have wondered how that Pro Wrap metallic braid looks when actually on a rod. I'm liking it. When you say it is too wide, is that because it's like size D thread in diameter? And how is it when pulling through? Does it shed or grab more than a normal metallic thread would?

Additionally. Chris, I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for the compliment. Thank you.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 06:31AM by David Baylor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: July 25, 2021 08:21AM

Think size D times 3. It is wide and flat. It has to be rolled on flat and if it ever isnt flat it fluffs and loses shape.

When I say it is too wide I mean it is as wide as a 6 wrap size D trim band. The underwrap in the picture is only 8 passes.

Because the braid is actually braided the metallic thread tend to have depth to them. It eats a lot of finish and requires multiple coats.

The pull through is the worst part. Remember wheb you first started this craft and your pull throughs looked like V's? It is next to impossible not to with braid because every pass is like six. I pulled through under only 1 wrap to reduce it but could never get it perfect. Also on the pull through you have to make sure it does not fold or roll.

I did not have shedding issues. But I will say this. You cannot overwrap it directly. You have to finish it prior to overwrap because of the rocky depth it has.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 25, 2021 10:42AM

I was told by a Fenwick representative way back when that they were a saltwater blank built out of S glass for this rod. He told me which one, but it is no longer relevant, so it been filed in the WHO CARES cabinet of my brain long ago. It's spent more time catching other species than it bass over the years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 25, 2021 12:24PM

Aaron, thanks for the heads up on the Pro Wrap braided metallic. Based on your synopsis, you just saved me $6.60. lol It sounds like a real nightmare to work with. A definite "no thanks" kind of thing.

I don't know how many of you tried braid back when it first came out, and I realize there were braided lines prior to what most people know as the braided line of today, but anyhow .... I tried it when it first came out, I believe it was called Kevlar and the Stren company made it. That line was flat. It was horrible to tie a knot with, and the knots wouldn't hold because the line would slip, so it was suggested and pretty much required that you hit the knot with a spot of Super Glue in order to secure the knot. It would also affect your cast because the line would start planing. You could actually see the line shifting back and forth in the air. It was horrible.

If I remember correctly, 20# test was the highest strength available.Or at least the highest strength I saw it offered in. And it definitely couldn't take the shock that today's braids can. More than once I popped the 20# test on a hook set like it wasn't even there. It wasn't the knot slipping, it was the line separating. Thankfully, today's braids are light years ahead of the early stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: July 25, 2021 10:52PM

The braided metallic definitely looks great once finished. However it added a considerable amount of time, headache, and finish. I am not totally counting it out. I will practice with what is left from this 15yds. I really wanted to do a trim band but it will take some ingenuity to figure out how to do a single wrap trim with it. I have an idea how. I will try it and create a different post about it if y'all are interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 10:06AM

What blank did you end up building on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 10:15AM

Joel Babin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What blank did you end up building on?

MB874 MHX. I build a budget series on MHX mag bass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 10:23AM

Nice... I understand that to be a very powerful rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 10:30AM

Joel Babin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice... I understand that to be a very powerful
> rod.

It is a good match for what he will be doing. Most of our flipping is in water willow and nothing heavier so it will work perfect. The plan is for him to use this rod and when he grows we will move him to a NFC MB 7108 or 7109. Then with the shorter handle the MB874 will actually make a decent frog rod. We made this plan together when we sat down and really discussed where he is at and where he is planning to go in competitive bass fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 10:43AM

Good planning... I wrapped up a MB7108 last night. I trimmed it down to 7-4 for personal use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 26, 2021 11:51AM

Very nice. I have one on the bench right now. I have had the NFC soft touch 1k handle on it for weeks but set it aside to finish customer work. I am leaving it full length.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: July 26, 2021 06:27PM

This is the braid compared to size D.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Richard Forhan (---)
Date: July 27, 2021 10:21PM

Don’t make me come back there, OK I’m coming back there, one last time before I croak. Perhaps in two seminars I’ll be able to separate fact from fiction or opinion, or maybe not. These discussions seem to get a little long primarily because of the misunderstanding of the terms Flippin and Pitchin. I have no opinions here, I learned from the best ,D Thomas, Dave Glebie, Gary Klein, then proceeded to test, test, test. See you at the expo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping rod balance tricks
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 28, 2021 06:16PM

Rich,

Being able to attend your seminar will be worth the trip alone

Options: ReplyQuote
Current Page: 5 of 6


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster