I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help with Rod Balance - Reel Choice
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: July 18, 2021 10:16AM

I am building a rod on an NFC LMX hybrid 705-1 7'0" Moderate action , MH power. The rod will be used for trolling bottom bouncers for walleyes. The rod will be held in my hand, not placed in a rod holder. The rod will be held horizontal to tip slightly down when trolling. So I am trying to choose a reel to match the rod. I have done a lot of this fishing but never really paid attention to the weight or balance of my setup. So I am just looking for advice on how to match a reel (weight) to the rod. Do I want this to balance out as tip heavy? Butt heavy? even? I still have to add another coat of thread epoxy. A 12 oz reel balances the rod just in front of the reel stem. a 9 oz reel is tip heavy but not enough to touch the floor. What should my goal be here? I could get a 7+ oz reel that would be sized right (line capacity/drag etc), but should I even bother going so light given the rod weight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help with Rod Balance - Reel Choice
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 18, 2021 11:03AM

A lot of builders balance rod and reel alone without lure hanging off tip. Some balance with lure weight hanging from tip. But if you are trolling with it, then balance is not really relevant since tip is constantly being pulled.

Basically how you balance out a rod and reel is your choice and what is most comfortable to you.

To me balancing is more important for constant casting rods and reels.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 18, 2021 11:37AM

Bob,
Put on the 12 oz reel that balances the rod level and don't look back.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 18, 2021 02:59PM

I wouldn't be concerned, I do it all day with longer, heavier, and larger presentations and I'm 70. I'm don't know how my granddad half my size survived it with gear twice the weight or better of stuff today.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 18, 2021 03:02PM

I vote for the 12 OZ flat an level is the way to go ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 18, 2021 06:37PM

I don't see balance as being much of an issue here. Build it to suit the way you fish, and use the reel of your choice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 18, 2021 09:30PM

Just like crankbaiting the consistent drag on the rod tip is something you will have to fight against, in my opinion balance becomes irrelevant as it is in any tip down presentation method.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 19, 2021 09:56AM

Build a longer grip to produce a wider range of balance points - and you can build a rod with a movable reel seat, allowing you to to achieve a wide range of balance points for many different reels.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 19, 2021 11:38PM

Like Lynn and others have mentioned, I wouldn't be concerned with the balance point of a trolling rod, or pretty much any rod that is used for a cast and wind retrieve. The line is under tension, and different baits and in the case of bottom bouncers, different weights load the rod differently. I would be impossible to balance a rod for so many variables. Simply changing line weights will add or subtract load from a blank just because of the different water resistance of the different diameters. .

I'd just build it and put on the reel you want, and not worry about it further.

If it were a rod being used for slack or semi slack line, rod tip up presentations and techniques, it would be a different story. Those types of rods are where I believe balance shows its' benefits.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 21, 2021 08:25AM

For many years the most common reel seat on a spinning rod consisted of a fairly long cork grip with two aluminum sleeves which could be moved to any position on the grip you wished. You would mount your reel anywhere on the grip and easily move and mount the reel anywhere on the grip - to suit different reels and different casting styles. Complicated and expensive reel seats can't do this - but do spur anglers to buy or build more rods.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 21, 2021 06:24PM

I hope I was correct in thinking that the rods most often used for this type of fishing are casting rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster