I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the right stuff
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 14, 2021 05:30PM

Any useful recommendation to a fly caster for a line weight for a particular rod depends upon whether that angler waves or double-hauls the rod when he casts. However, ignoring consideration of this this basic information sells a lot of fly lines (and rods) - and probably discourages a number of would-be fly fishers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 06:36PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the right stuff
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2021 06:46PM

OK, I'll bite; how so?

Date: July 14, 2021 06:57PM

Ask a fly fishing guide.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2021 11:19PM

Phil, you did not answer Donald's question.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2021 08:12AM

Well, I'm not a fly fishing guide or casting instructor.

Maybe that is why I thought (perhaps mistakenly) a rod's ERN & ELN, the species targeted and casting distance typically required are the more important considerations.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 15, 2021 10:14AM

Bored again Phil?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 15, 2021 11:19AM

May be if I thought about it I would care,Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........I thought about it and I still don't care.

I'm going fishing.

I'll check on the ping pong match Later.

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2021 11:20AM by John DeMartini.

Date: July 15, 2021 08:13PM

Phil has a fixation on "double hauling!" As a fly fisherman in many parts of the world and part time casting instructor, I can tell you double hauling is primarily used for long casts!, and most fish caught on a fly are caught well within 40 feet. Double haul and the overlooked single haul have their place, mostly salt water and steelhead.

The largest part of the market for lines is not where double hauls are used.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 17, 2021 12:27AM

I don't know how many steelhead fly anglers I have seen start out booming the line out there, throwing over the fish and crossing current seams that turns their lines into a wad on the water. They couldn't catch a cold, though there is always the suicidal fish every year, or so.

Date: July 17, 2021 01:53PM

I now live a couple blocks from the surf, so my outlook has changed since I lived across the road from the finest brook trout stream in New York State - where a tenkara rod and no casting was the ticket. Before you put much money or effort into fly fishing salt water either wading or from a boat you really should consider learning how to double-haul. You might even occasionally profit from knowing how to double haul in fresh waters - especially fishing in lakes and rivers more than 40' wide.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2021 01:55AM

I got totally confused by this string, but I'm still going to put in my 2 cents worth - the initial post appeared to be discussing the line weight for a fly rod. The line weight is whatever weight will effectively "Load" the rod without being too heavy for the forward cast, irrespective of single or double-hauling. A 5-wt rod will not cast a 2-wt line effectively, as the line is too light to load the rod. Similarly, a 2-wt rod does not do well with a 5-wt line as the rod does not have the backbone to cast that heavy a line.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 19, 2021 09:16AM

Richard: A fly caster who double-hauls can considerably increase his line's speed during the cast, which in turn allows the double-haul caster to effectively cast a wider range of line weights with the same rod than the caster who relies entirely upon waving the rod to cast. This is not faith or speculation. It's observed, measured, physical fact.

Date: July 20, 2021 04:53PM

Phil, your response makes no sense whatsoever. Double hauling a 5wt line on a 2wt rod as Richard mentions is asking for a disaster! Give up on :double hauling" being the answer you give to every question!!

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 21, 2021 03:50PM

If you can afford flyfishing and rodbuilding as hobbies, why not just build another rod or 3 of appropriate size and weight?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 21, 2021 04:46PM

It's true. A reliable double haul will greatly enlarge the variety of "weight" lines a fly angler can effectively use with the same rod. Ask any competent fly caster - or learn to double haul yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster