I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Land based shark fishing
Posted by: Grayson hodgkins (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2021 05:13PM

I have a couple giant reels I plan on using for shark fishing off the beach only problem is I don’t have any idea on what rod to build I’ve seen giant 12 foot rods and small stout 5 foot rods if anyone can shine some light on this please and thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Land based shark fishing
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 14, 2021 07:25PM

How are you going to get the line out into the water far enough without a good cast? Typically "giant reels" are not too caster friendly. I would think off the beach something in the 7.5' to 9' range would work. Maybe a glass graphite hybrid blank, a bit longer than a boat rod to help hold the line over the closer waves.

Date: July 14, 2021 09:01PM

I plan on using a kayak to paddle the baits out

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 15, 2021 12:43PM

Grayson hodgkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I plan on using a kayak to paddle the baits out

That's what I thought, it is what they do on the coast here in Texas. The shorter blanks will work if you can get them up high. The farther above the waves, the better. I know some guys down here that have the rods mounted on their truck beds in a DIY rack and platform that also has lights mounted to it. You won't need a 12' - 14' rod with something like that. 7.5' to 9' will work. Look at Lamiglass or Batson, they will have something in that range that can handle it. Try to match it up to the mono line class of the reel. Sounds like fun, let us know what you decide.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 17, 2021 01:59PM

Sharks come in many sizes. Will you target blacktips or bull sharks?

Date: July 17, 2021 06:33PM

Anything I can catch off the coast of Florida I have a 50wide tiagra so I’m hoping to catch some bigger species

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 20, 2021 01:34PM

I have found the most abundant sharks to be caught from the beach of the middle-east coast of Florida are Blacktip Sharks. They don't get much longer than five feet. A couple-hundred yards of #30 line is plenty to do the job. Some guys go after BIG sharks off the beach at night, which require different tackle, heavier baits, and lots more pulling. Before I spent much on rods, lines, and tackle in general I would head to the beach in the evening, find some anglers fishing heavy tackle, and ask for their recommendations. The longer the rod you use the more leverage you give the fish. Busting hump reeling is not as much fun as many people imagine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster