I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Single Guide Repair
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 04:17PM

I have one guide to apply Thread epoxy. There is a difference between cheap and poor! What methods, other than mixing 2 oz. do y'all use. I'm not equipped to dry multiple rods. Thanking all in advanced

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Guide Repair
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:00PM

You don't need 2 oz to coat one guide. 2 or 3 CC's will be more than enough. If you don't have a syringe to measure a small amount then take a soda can clean the bottom, pour out a nickel size (more if it is a large wrap) puddle of resin and hardener mix thoroughly and apply..

Support the rod horizontally, coat the guide wrap and turn the rod by hand 180 degrees every minute or two until the epoxy stops sagging. You can judge the rotation interval by how the coating sags.

Since it is only one guide you can do a temp set up in the room you watch TV and turn the rod while being entertained.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:11PM

Does this repair need CP?

If not, and you don't have epoxy on hand to mix, then Sally Henson hard nail topping finishes work well for small jobs like this. Look for UV resistant.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:29PM

Epoxy finish isn't that expensive, particularly compared against a job gone wrong that requires being removed, re-wrapped and re-finished. Mix the 3ccs of both parts and perform the repair correctly. In the long it's the least expensive route to take.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:40PM

Being poor can result in being cheap. I have been guilty of both. In your shoes I'd look to do more than one rod.

Mix the 3 cc's as Tom suggested. Coat one rod, ideally a complete rod or several guides. Then put the remaining epoxy in the freezer. Chances are good you will get at least one guide wrap out of it the next morning.

And don't think you need a rod dryer to get good results. You can do one rod, put it in the dryer, and turn the other rod by hand. Or do one rod, put it on the dryer, put remaining epoxy in freezer, and do second rod 4-5 hours later when you can take the first rod out of the dryer.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:51PM

I have yet to use the syringes supplied with the epoxy. It can be measured out equal parts in the bottom of a Dixie cup. For one eye repair I would use a few drops of each part. Add the epoxy first and let it settle as it is thicker. Then add the hardener.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 05:57PM

I always use syringes to always measure 2-part epoxy.

It is easy to get an exact 0.5 cc of epoxy using the syringes. Mix well for 2 minutes, turn for 30 minutes and you will be good to go.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 07, 2021 06:42PM

I always use syringes and I frequently mix mix batches of less than 1cc total. Zero problems. Mixed in the bottom of a soda can with a popsicle stick. Threadmaster Lite and D-2.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 07, 2021 06:50PM

For small jobs I use a piece of cardboard and a dental pick. I put a few drops of resin and hardner side by side and start mixing with the dental pick. No syringes needed. Once mixed I use small pieces of cut plastic to apply.

I get the plastic from packages of items I purchased that come in those clear plastic cases. I save some and cut them up for application tools for small jobs like that.

Only mix what you need.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: July 08, 2021 11:45AM

My fault. I don't think clearly when I get frustrated. I meant 2cc not 2 oz. Peoples shares have said don't mix less then that. Tom is saying 3 cc. His experience must be given proper consideration. I'm most interested with the idea of putting left overs in freezer. Which leads me to this question, how do you thaw it and know the temp of it. Thanks again everyone.

Date: July 08, 2021 11:49AM

It is the epoxy formulators that suggest 3ccs each. This allows for a very small margin for error. You can certainly get good results with less, but your measurements must be absolutely perfect. So the question is, how much are you willing to risk to save a dime?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 08, 2021 01:07PM

I cannot imagine putting left over mixed epoxy into the freezer then thawing and using it. Same for the unmixed epoxy components.

Date: July 08, 2021 01:15PM

What happens when you do not mix equal parts exactly?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 08, 2021 01:20PM

V V V What he said V V V

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 02:03PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: July 08, 2021 01:56PM

All the popular rod building finish epoxies, with only perhaps one or two recent exceptions are formulated for a 1 to 1 mix. The smaller the mix batch, the less margin for error there will be. If you mix up a total 10CC batch and are off a half cc, that's a 5% error. If you mix up a 4CC batch and are off by that same half cc, you now have a 12.5% error. Get the idea?

Too much hardener will result in a finish that remains tacky for just about forever. Too much resin results in a finish that remains somewhat soft, forever. The greater the mis-match the more substantial these characteristics will be.

A search on this forum under the name "Ralph O'Quinn" will net you more than you'll ever need to know about thread wrap and adhesive epoxies.

Date: July 08, 2021 07:54PM

I guess I'm 100 for 100 in estimating quantities by eye. Always cures in 4-5 hours, never tacky.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 08, 2021 09:14PM

If you want to mix 3cc and throw 85% of it away, go for it. Syringes are stored upside down in the bottle insert. What could possibly be easier. If I was selling finish I 'd tell you to use no less than 4cc each part Lol

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 09, 2021 10:52AM

Are you chiefly looking for display looks or fishing utility? One is easy, the other not so much.

Date: July 09, 2021 11:24AM

In aviation we refer to a series of steps to nullify and/or dismiss certain SOP's as "Normalized Deviation." Eventually it leads to a failure of some sort or another.

Date: July 09, 2021 12:30PM

I am putting my theory of "close enough" on the 2 part epoxy mix to evoke discussion of problems that may be associated with the procedure. I have no problems with curing. In other words, what failures may eventually be realized? I certainly do not want any future failures to come to fruition so I'm asking the vast knowledge of the members of this board for guidance.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster