I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double Footed Frog Rod?
Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 11:26AM

I am putting together a pretty much dedicated Frog Rod

but also will throw some swimbaits and some pitching and flipping

Blank is an MHX FP885 cut down 1 inch

Right now i have 4.5 ti torzite for it, but kinda thinking about running kw5's

why? just so i dont have issues with bent or broken guides, long term durability

thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double Footed Frog Rod?
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 01:51PM

If you are making a dedicated Frog Rod the better choice would be a MB874. If you read the description on the Mudhole site they even say it is a frog rod. I have been building this rod for years for all of my bass tournament guys and with over thirty of them in the field it is the choice of the best out there. It has tons of power and a tip that will cast a frog a country mile unlike a flipping rod that is much stiffer in the tip. Also it is already a 7'3" blank and no cutting required.

If you like to flip and pitch the FP885 would do the job as it all boils down to your personal preference.

On the guides if you plan on tying 65 lb braid to a leader I would go the 5's if straight braid the 4.5 is alright. However on a frog Rod you should use the KB's all the way out , I've never have had a problem with them coming out. And if you feel the need you can always use a locking wrap on them

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 01:52PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 02:45PM

Tom,

Thanks I have the MB874, its a great rod, but i want the extra power of the 885

lots of hydrilla and slop down here, but agree the 874 is a dandy.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 06, 2021 05:26PM

When I am fishing a frog over heavy matted vegetation, I fish it with the tip up, so I want the tip to be light. I wouldn't use double foot guides as running guides. There's really no need. I would however use three double foot guides as a reduction train. I build all my casting rods that way anyway, but I would definitely do it on a rod seeing the use a rod sees when fishing slop. I personally would go with a KW 10, KW 8, KW 6, and then KB 5's out to the tip. That is if the foot isn't too wide for the guides closest to the tip. Which on that blank they probably won't be. But if so, you may need to throw in a couple of KTs. If you aren't going with the Torzites I'd use a 5. If you use the Torzite, a 4.5 will have an ID close to, or larger than a 5 in Alconite, and possibly SIC. Braid collects junk when fishing slop around here, and the larger ID of the 5s helps with that.

And for me personally. I like a stiff tip on a frog rod. Even if I am walking a frog. I think walking a frog is more about timing, than it is about the flexibility of the rod tip.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 09, 2021 11:03AM

How much does the frog for a "frog rod" weigh? Weight, not shape or size, usually determines the best guide train - unless you must set the hook when your lure is draped in vegetation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 11:07AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster