I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo rod and ferrules
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: July 02, 2021 02:39PM

I recently was asked about Bamboo rods and I have NO experience with them what so ever .
This person hates the metal ferrules , and I agree with him and wanted to know if anyone makes a tip over butt type
Bamboo rod . So I'm asking you guys , does anyone make something like that in a bamboo rod? Is this even possible ? I'm aware of the spliced tape style , because I googled it but cant find anything about tip over . Thanks in advance . Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2021 02:40PM by ron zimmerman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo rod and ferrules
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: July 02, 2021 06:09PM

Of all the things in this world to hate, why do you and that person hate modern metal ferrules for bamboo rods? While some of the early metal ferrules did not work so well, the modern metal ferrules for bamboo are true marvels.

Do you not understand how they are formed, how they are fitted both to the bamboo and the male to female fit, and why they work (hint: it's friction and air pressure / the lack thereof)?

Why do you think a ferrule design for carbon fiber and some glass would be superior to metal ferrules designed for bamboo?

Date: July 02, 2021 06:18PM

One word --Ugly

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2021 06:48PM

There has been a tip-over-butt ferrule (glue-on) made for bamboo rods out of bamboo. It's been some time and I can't remember who or when it was available.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 02, 2021 10:40PM

Ron,
If the bamboo blank has not been cut/sectioned yet, the ultimate would be a CARL ferrule, much better than a chrome-plated brass ferrule or even a hand-drawn NS ferrule. While initially intended and developed for traditional round blanks, it can also be employed for a 6-sided bamboo blank! Look for the CARL article in the most recent issue of RodMaker magazine, V-24, I-3 or contact me directly.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 05, 2021 09:33PM

Mark I dont even have it and I wont try for fear of messing it up . Putting it on the back burner . Thanks for the help guys .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster