I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First order from Rod Geeks came in...
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: July 02, 2021 10:02AM

So, I ordered two surf rod blanks, the SRF110MM2, in one color, Pearl White and the combo SRF110C3 (one butt, 2 different tips), in two colors, Ice Blue metallic on the top 70% and Pearl White on the bottom 30%. From order time to my door was 12 days, very good time for something originating in Mexico and getting to me that quick. But, this is a learning experience and I encountered one small problem with the Two toned 30/70 blank. According to my calculations, which I did before ordering to be sure, the bottom color (Pearl White) should have ended about 39 inches up the blank. It did not. It ended about 27 inches up and when I install the grip, reel seat and fore grip, their will be no Pearl White showing. They had painted the bottom about 20%. I didn't get a clear answer from customer service except that I should have had the blanks painted 70% on the bottom and 30% on the top. So, I guess they are not like me, figuring up exactly what each blank would be at 30/70 and they are just "eyeballing" it and calling it"good". The other thing is where the two colors meet. One would think they would make a nice gradient overlapping the colors. No. They just kind of tape them off, and it's not even. It's not the end of the world, just makes zero sense. it would actually be faster to just over overlap one of the colors with the other color in a nice smooth gradient. This whole new rod business is really a learning process! I presented the facts to my client and we decided to send it back and get the 50/50 split paint job so it would really come out more 30/70 once the grip was installed. As far as the shody color break, I'll just have to add a decorative wrap, wherever the break may be, unless it (hopefully) falls onto where a guide will be. Debbie at customer service had no problems with this and promptly sent me a prepaid return label and said she would reorder the other blank as soon as I dropped off the blank I was returning in the mail. I may just push the one color blanks from now on. Anyone else experience this with the two tone painted rods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2021 10:35AM by Fred Zimmermann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First order from Rod Geeks came in...
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2021 12:35PM

I've done a few Rod Geeks two tone rods and had no problems. They do offer different color proportions I think-didn't get that mixed up?

RodGeeks has no idea where guides are going to go, and the color break cannot be specified as a certain proportion of the blank "unless a guide isn't there."

You are finding RodGeeks customer service very responsive, as I have. I had one question one time and it got answered promptly.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 02, 2021 05:07PM

I would have asked them for a, Gradient with overlapping colors that you want. I would call them back and make that clear. I Have seen several Rod Geek's done that way. I had seen a Jimmy Hendricks theme rod, That was purple and white and it was an awesome build!! However I have not personally built on their Blakes. Tight Lines!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2021 05:40PM by Jay Dubay.

Date: July 06, 2021 08:14AM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have asked them for a, Gradient with
> overlapping colors that you want. I would call
> them back and make that clear. I Have seen several
> Rod Geek's done that way. I had seen a Jimmy
> Hendricks theme rod, That was purple and white and
> it was an awesome build!! However I have not
> personally built on their Blakes. Tight Lines!!!!

Well, there is only one phone number and apparently only one person to even talk to there. No mention of gradient on the order form and from my email on my initial complaint about the color change this is the response I received. "The color change will be more abrupt due to the process of how they paint the blanks" I'm not sure why they are even offering two toned blanks if they are going to make them look bad at the color break. It makes zero sense.

Date: July 06, 2021 09:46AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> I've done a few Rod Geeks two tone rods and had no
> problems. They do offer different color
> proportions I think-didn't get that mixed up?
>
> RodGeeks has no idea where guides are going to go,
> and the color break cannot be specified as a
> certain proportion of the blank "unless a guide
> isn't there."
>
> You are finding RodGeeks customer service very
> responsive, as I have. I had one question one
> time and it got answered promptly.

On your two toned rods did they overlap the colors into a gradient or did they just kinda sorta tape them off?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2021 10:27AM

Perhaps you can try some sort of very short decorative wrap over the color change area.

Date: July 06, 2021 10:32AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Perhaps you can try some sort of very short
> decorative wrap over the color change area.
>
> ..........

I think that may be my only option unless the color break just happens to fall on a guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster