I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

coloring guide epoxy
Posted by: Don Green (---)
Date: June 29, 2021 10:31AM

has anyone tried adding color to rod guide epoxy. just a thought, pros and cons please

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coloring guide epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2021 10:39AM

Yes and there are tons of posts on how to do it (and what not to do) in the search archives of this forum. Typically you're tinting or coloring the epoxy with a pigment that can run the gamut from the solids out of the bottom of a jar of Testor's paint, to powered chalk or even speciality coloring pigments.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 11:02AM

I did a lot of crazy stuff when I made my girls rods, like Swarovski crystals inlaid on the dimpled winding checks. Tom is correct about Testers model paint. Let the pigment settle in the bottle and drain out the thinner down to the pigment level. A little bit will be translucent added to epoxy and a lot will make it solid. You can also go to Hobby Lobby or other craft type stores and they have pigments and powders with fine glitter in different colors in the jewelry making section. You can get the Testers paint there also. Experiment with it on old broken rods or wooden dowels because it will set differently than regular guide epoxy when you add it to it.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (69.77.100.---)
Date: June 29, 2021 11:23AM

Mudhole sells CRB marbling pigment in several colors....other sponsors on this site may very well do the same...I have used CRB Marbling pigment with success. A single 1 ounce jar might be a lifetime supply !! You must use sparingly, a little bit goes a long way. In one of Mudhole"s Facebook Live Videos ( I believe the video on Marbling) they spend some time using the marbling pigments.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 29, 2021 11:27AM

You sure can. I used the powdered pigment from CRB that Mud Hole sells for marbling. I re wrapped the guides on an old G Loomis GL2 casting rod. The Old Silver color matched the color of the blank almost perfectly. It made it look as if the guides were just sticking out of the blank. Very cool looking.

I gave the rod to a fishing buddy. It's looking just as good as the day I gave it to him. That was about 3 years ago.

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.datapacket.com)
Date: June 29, 2021 11:30AM

Casey from VooDoo Rods, a sponsor on the left, has a quick video on YouTube with marbling. They sell powdered pigments what work great

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 29, 2021 03:25PM

Hello Don.

Here is a shot of one I did.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Don Green (---)
Date: June 29, 2021 05:41PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Now I feel like I got a whole new jar of marbles to play with.
Don,
Saraland Al.
On the banks of beautiful Bayou Sara.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 07:03PM

Like has been said, there are a lot of ways to color epoxy finish. I've used powdered jig paint and even different colors of the same product can require different mix ratios, so be sure that you mix a test batch or so with the finish that you use.to make certain that you get the color you want, AND a workable consistency. I also use a scale to measure the pigment so that i can repeat a color mix exactly. Good luck!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 07:25PM

VooDoo powdered pigments are awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster