I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC soft touch grip
Posted by: keith nehrke (---.urmc.rochester.edu)
Date: June 29, 2021 06:35AM

I'm hoping to incorporate one of the EFX soft touch 9.5" full length grips into a light spinning rod assembly (I'm not good enough to qualify as a rod "builder" lol), and wondered if anyone has come up with decent trim pieces/reel seat combo to bridge the tenon, which is cut to fit a casting reel seat? I believe that I can use an AT Aero 17 without trim rings (please correct me if I'm wrong), and I love the Aero seats, but I'd like to have options.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC soft touch grip
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 06:13PM

I don't have the soft grip ones, but assuming they are much the same......I went through a lot of drama trying to answer the same question.

I happened to buy some freshwater blanks on one of their sales that came with a grip set for free. Deal included rear grip, fore grip, and EVA butt cap. Turns out that tenon is for the EVA butt cap, not the reel seat!!!!!

Of course I can't find that EVA cap on their web site to order a bunch for all the other grips I already bought!

FWIW the standard Fuji DPSM size 20 reel seat I had on hand is a perfect match on the OD if you mount down locking. I have been told the Aero in size 17 works too but I only had the 16 and it won't.

Hope this helps. Good to know I'm not the only one who didn't know which end of the grip was what:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 30, 2021 08:11AM

dang, can't delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 08:13AM by keith nehrke.

Date: June 30, 2021 08:11AM

Lol, that sounds like something I would do. But in this case, the grip has an EVA butt cap sized to fit into the "non-tenon" end of the tube, and I've read that the tenon is recent addition - it's essentially an arbor that's been glued in with a half inch hanging. A casting reel seat fits perfectly on top of it, so if you're building a casting rod, then Bob's your uncle. Nice and snug. I may end up making an EVA piece that covers the tenon and steps down to the spinning seat, but I'd much rather go with a matte black metal joint. So, it's either find a trim ring that is 1.06" outer diameter and sand the tenon to whatever inner diameter, or find a spinning reel seat that couples to the tenon (~0.97"?). Or use a size 17 Aero that slides over the entire end.

Date: June 30, 2021 08:12AM

hit post too many times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 08:13AM by keith nehrke.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 30, 2021 08:42AM

Keith,

Same problem here. I had some SK Fuji Split seats in casting laying around and ordered the rods on sale with the grips. The size 17 SK casting seats are also the same outside diameter as the tenon. Tonight I am going to try an idea that may work if I am lucky. I am hoping one of the hidden thread sleeve end caps will fit over the tenon even if I have to arbor it up. The the natural taper of the trim ring would slope to the SK seat. It is a long shot though. My backup plan is to shape an EVA piece and remove the tenon. I may even cut a few inches out of the handle and make a "power hump" styled piece to go there. I will test this evening with the trim piece and share.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 30, 2021 01:38PM

Rainshadows EVA20 fits their grips.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 01, 2021 07:50AM

The trim ring doesn't work. It is close. Mudhole did not have a size that would work in their catalog. I am either going to order a different seat or 3D print a finger groove transition piece.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 02, 2021 01:30AM

My soft touch grips do not have a tenon, the carbontex ones do. The thing you see in the picture is the tapered arbor that seats inside the grip a half inch or so when installed on the rod. I believe the other brands do the same thing.

Date: July 06, 2021 02:29PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The trim ring doesn't work. It is close. Mudhole
> did not have a size that would work in their
> catalog. I am either going to order a different
> seat or 3D print a finger groove transition piece.

I think we may be talking about different things, or calling the same thing by a different name. The "tenon" that I'm referring to is at the seat end of the grip, and in fact does seem to be a tapered arbor that sticks out from the grip itself - which IMHO makes it much akin to a tenon. Regardless, there needs to be something between the grip and the real seat, and adapter or trim ring, if you're building it as a spinning rod. Casting reel seats that I've tried appear to fit nicely over the tapered arbor/tenon for a flush mount.

I guess it's not rocket science to custom a piece, but I was hoping for an off the shelf solution.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2021 04:44AM

If you cut the tenon back and remove a small amount foam in the grip this might work. You might have a gap as the I.D. will be bigger than your size 16 or 17 seat, could be filled with black tinted epoxy.

[www.americantackle.us]

Following the link then click on "Aluminum Conventional Reel Seat Trim Rings" can't get a direct link.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster