I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinning Gen 4 Low Build
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2021 04:59AM

Wonder if anyone has thinned down Gen 4 low build. Here is my situation. I used an aluminum trim ring between a carbon fiber grip and the buttcap. Well the trim ring was a fuzz smaller diameter. If it was not carbon, which I could sand down fiber I would just gently sand down the edge. The difference ain't much not visible but will catch a finger nail. So figured I would just do a few coats of Perma Gloss to even things out a bit.

My Perma Gloss has not been used in a long time. So you know what happened to that. Don't want to order just that and have another bottle that is going to waste away.

So figured I would just use rod finish. Of what I have on hand the Gen 4 is the thinnest but even that is a little thicker than I want to work with. Would like to thin it down to maybe twice the consistency of Perma Gloss.

Anyone tried thinning Gen 4?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinning Gen 4 Low Build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2021 09:20AM

You can apply an epoxy thinly, without thinning it. Just put on less, use a stiffer brush, etc. I can take the thickest epoxy on the planet and apply it to guide wraps so that it will look like a single coat of varnish.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: June 29, 2021 10:40AM

Michael if you want it thinner warm it up and apply quickly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2021 10:41AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.datapacket.com)
Date: June 29, 2021 11:32AM

Id use the G4 as is and just apply with a toothpick.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.86.---)
Date: June 29, 2021 01:17PM

I have been using regular Gen IV and I get extremely thin coats out of it so the Lite should even be easier to accomplish that task . Having said that the Gen IV light is not as light as other so called Lite epoxy's as many have said the viscosity doesn't seem all that different from the regular .

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 29, 2021 03:47PM

The trim ring is rather thin and don't need much to level it. Afraid if I just try to apply it thin I won't get enough on for it to flow and level out. Would like to get to point were I can drop finish on as it rotates and have it fill the area.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2021 04:06PM

Okay, here's all you have to do. Mix the finish but allow it to set long enough that it thickens a bit. Dip a toothpick in it and lift. You want that magic two or three minutes where the toothpick pulls up a string of finish that doesn't just fall back into the mixing cup, but also doesn't pull all the way back on the toothpick into a drop. The timing here is critical.

When you reach that certain amount of set, pull up a fine string of finish and touch one end to the middle of your trim ring while you rotate the rod by hand under it. Make one full revolution and then rotate the rod per normal. Don't brush it. Don't poke it. Just let it settle as it rotates. You may want to practice this on a dummy piece to get the technique down, but once you do, it'll get you the result you're after.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 29, 2021 06:38PM

Thanks. Seems counterintuitive at first but makes sense after thinking about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster