I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old St Croix SC IV 3pc Blank
Posted by: PETER CODEVILLA (---)
Date: June 28, 2021 05:31PM

Trying to locate the middle section for the old 4FT909 blank. I know St Croix discontinued but does anyone still carry or can anyone manufacture a replacement section? Any advice would be welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old St Croix SC IV 3pc Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2021 06:12PM

Without the mandrel and pattern it is highly unlikely that anyone can or would manufacture a replacement section for you. The cost would be astronomical.

You may try St. Croix and see what the replacement cost would be for a similar current blank, or if they might have any of the original leftovers remaining in stock.

Date: June 28, 2021 06:19PM

Thanks. I talked to St. Croix a few years ago and they don't have the old blank at all any more. I just hate to waste a nice rod that I built just for one busted section.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 28, 2021 07:28PM

I think you are SOL, especially with a 3-piece. I'd give up the farm and buy a Carbon 4 blank from Rod Geeks. It should be pretty close in performance.

P.S. It @#$%& breaking an old favorite rod for which there is no replacement. Did it to a vintage, first generation 5-weight Sage many years ago in a car trunk. It was a two piece. They sent me a replacement butt section from a newer model but it did not match the old rod action well at all.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 28, 2021 09:02PM

If you have the broken section it can be repaired using the process in the Library. Better than giving up.

Posted by: Jack Duncan (200.68.133.---)
Date: June 28, 2021 09:02PM

Try Stroud Tackle in San Diego. Rick has a large supply of older St Croix blanks. If he has your blank it will be less than replacing the mid section thru the company. There’s a blank inventory on the website: stroudtackle.com
Jack

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2021 09:21AM

Keep in mind that even an identical blank may not suffice in terms of that mid section fitting your rod. Rod blanks are not precision instruments in the way that machined items are.

Date: June 29, 2021 09:26AM

Holy @#$%&, Jack...it looks like they have it on their site! Shot them an email. And I suppose if that middle section doesn't fit I could just build the whole rod again...but I haven't built a full rod in over 5 years now.

Posted by: Jack Duncan (---)
Date: June 30, 2021 02:49PM

Peter:
Sorry I didn't respond more quickly, but we were in Mexico for a few days and out of touch. The owner of Stroud's is Rick Vorst. They're only open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, 10-4, I think. Phone is 619-276-4822. If Rick isn't in, Craig knows where the blanks are kept. The reason they have all those old blanks is a long story, but it's all legit, and the blanks for the most part are in brand new condition. They've been a great source for me because I build rods for San Diego Fly Fishers for raffle or @#$%& and the revenue goes to California Trout and other local conservation causes. I can often build a rod for less than a $100, and the Club will get $200-$300 for them. That's good advice from Tom Kirkman. I'd just buy the entire blank. And if the mid section does fit, it's always good to have an extra tip section, too.

Anyway, just call Rick and tell him which blank you need, he will confirm it's still in inventory and you can figure out how to get it to you. Feel free to use my name if you want.

Jack

Posted by: PETER CODEVILLA (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2021 02:56PM

Thanks, Jack. I sent an email via their website, but perhaps I will just give them a call. I will let all know what happens here...hoping for a happy outcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster