I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapping machines
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 11:51AM

Was digging through the library to find one of the New Guide Concept articles and was sidetracked by the “Another Way to Wrap a Rod” article - which highlighted a machine that kept the blank still and rotated the thread spool around the blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Found it interesting as not too long ago I saw a video of a a rod factory in Asia with what I assume to be a “modern” version of such - operating at incredible speeds…. Video was on Facebook so not sure if I could post a link to it here or not (assuming I can find it again), but it was interesting to see such a machine in operation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapping machines
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 04:08PM

Michael,
This topic (and I think the same article) came-up about two months ago. While I found the method to be interesting, dare I say intriguing, I cannot see the benefit of rotating the thread around the stationary blank. It seems to me that wrapping the stationary thread around a rotating blank would be easier and certainly less bulky. Additionally, how would someone perform any involved wraps or even simply add and/or drop threads? Hopefully, someone out there has experience with the method and can shed some light on the subject. I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2021 04:32PM

This type machine, which was featured in RodMaker several years back, was developed for wrapping split bamboo rods. More compact than rod machines with long beds, it was stationary and the rod pulled through the middle of the circular wrapping "arm." It was never intended for intricate threadwork.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 25, 2021 01:02AM

Thanks, Tom = that makes sense. Anyone else have any input?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: RICHARD LUCAS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2021 06:17AM

Michael, Mark & Tom,

I am new and excited to be part of RodBuilding.org since I recently became a Sponsor Member. I have no knowledge about Rod Wrapping Machines, other than what I have been reading lately on this website, but I do have knowledge about Speed Controls that one would use to control the speed of these machines.

My Company manufactures a Variable Speed Control Foot Pedal, which can easily regulate the speed of these Rod Wrapping Machines, check out our website, www.LucasDentalCompany.com

Rod Wrappers are in a class by themselves, with having the skills to build fishing rods of all styles, I don't have the patience to do this.

I was born and raised on fresh water fishing from the time I was around 5-6 years old, put me on a lake and I will find you fish. My Dad let me use some of the fishing rods that he had at the time and they worked well for a 6 year old kid.

When I got older at around 14, I purchased my first "ultra lite" fishing rod and reel with the money I saved from the various jobs I had during those early days.

I still have this Rod & Reel to this day, because I never allowed anyone in my Family to borrow them, and I still have the plastic case that came with it.... I love my Rod & Reel

First Rod: Browning Silaflex, Model #232955 made in USA Cork Handle (6) Ferrule 66" long
First Reel: Quick "Microlite" made in West Germany

PS: Check out my Forum Post above: Variable Speed Rod Wrapper Control Pedal

Thank you for your time to read my input. Regards, Richard Lucas Lucadent@verizon.net www.LucasDentalCompany.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster